Fort Worth, TX
FC 11
CC .5
ph 7.1
TA 90
CYA 20
CH 1,100

I just got my TF100 test set.
I have a minor black algae problem and started this morning doing the SLAM routine to get rid of it.
Everything is going fine. I brushed with a steel brush (twice) and have kept at shock level all day. The algae is disappearing.

I just did a CH test. It was so high I did it twice. It's at 1,100. My tap water is at 90.
I guess that's from years of using chlorine tabs and Leslie's powder shock.

I have a lime/calcium residue on the dark blue tile around the water level. I can acid scrub it off without too much trouble.

I hate to drain the pool, but it looks like I might have to.

Any suggestions?

There are only two ways to reduce the CH level in your water. the first is drain and refill, and the second is Reverse Osmosis. Since you live in DFW area, there probably is no choice in that. Several drain and refill cycles are in your near future.

Since you are supposed to be coming into your rainy season, you can take advantage of this by directing as much run-off into your pool. Ask Richard320 about this.

While the CH will require special attention (keep your pH where it is, in the low 7's and keep your TA where it is, too) it can be managed slowly without draining if you choose. It has no affect on the SLAM process so keep after that algae.

I would focus on successful completion of the SLAM.....that'll get your water nice and clear and then you can either choose to drain/refill or get your CH down over the winter. As posted above, Richard320 is a good success story so search his posts about Calcium Hardness.

Re: CalTreat

Welcome to the forum!

Don't believe it. That product has been discussed here before. Are you testing your own water, and how? Also, what are you using as a Chlorine source? It could be adding Calcium. Dilution is the only real answer to lowering Calcium. Do you know what your fill water contains CH wise?

Brushpup said:
Welcome to the forum!

Don't believe it. That product has been discussed here before. Are you testing your own water, and how? Also, what are you using as a Chlorine source? It could be adding Calcium. Dilution is the only real answer to lowering Calcium. Do you know what your fill water contains CH wise?

I received the TF100 Friday and have been testing my water this weekend.
I am doing a SLAM for a black algae problem and it is going well.
I'm using liquid bleach. 8.25%

FC 11
ph 7.1
TA 90
CYA 20
CH 1,100

My tap water is 90 CH.

Looks like you've been using Calcium Hypochlorite as a source then.

Your CYA (Stabilizer) is low and needs to come up to the 40 or so range. The sun is going to strip your FC quickly at the 20 PPM mark. It's actually lower most likely since 20 is as low as it goes. Do you have any? If not, Walmart has it in the pool section. Buy only one canister if you need some.

That said 10K gallons isn't that much to treat so it's up to you on how much bleach you want to haul and pour. It will require less with your CYA, but it's up to you really.

I have been using Calcium Hypochlorite ever since I've had the pool (16 years). I started using bleach this weekend.
I'm not worried about the CYA right now. I added 5 lbs of CYA last week. It was dissolved from the sock about Wednesday. I'll check it Wednesday and go from there.
I believe the 20 is close to correct. It measured between 30 and 20, but it was closer to 20.
I was not losing chlorine yesterday, testing as long as 3 hours apart, it never went down more than 1 1/2 ppm. This was in the hot Sun.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.