Holes......again!

Jeff74

Mar 10, 2010
Huntington, WV
Well, looks like I am revisiting this topic again this year. We are on our 4th liner in 5 years (this one was put in new at closing last year). I have been battling pin-holes all season long and just got through patching about 6 today. We have noticed alot of bugs such as ants, centipedes and an occasional blue tailed lizard finding its way under the pool through the same access spot in the dirt. I assume these critters are eating their way through the happy bottom pad and the pool liner. What can we do to keep them from doing this in the future? We thought about building up a small retaining wall and filling it in with some dirt and gravel and putting alot of Sevin dust and/or Diazinon. I can't imagine people who live in the country and have an above ground pool have this problem? We thought we were doing it right the last liner we put in by hiring a professional, but it seems the same problems persist, so its not an installer problem. Thanks for the input.

I don't know much about pool building but have you thought about pouring a concrete slab under your liner? A pain, for sure, and not cheap, but likely permanently effective. Not sure if you could just keep it the diameter of the pool, though. You may have to disassemble it and pour the slab a foot larger in diameter than the pool.

I'd definitely try the insecticide first, especially if you can still get Diazanon in WV. Feel free to ship some up to NH ;)The EPA alternatives around here are a joke!

Hope you find a resolution.

If I was going to pour a concrete slab, I might as well install an inground pool. Bugs have always been plentiful here in the woods of WV, but I never heard of anyone having a problem with them under pool liners and chewing holes. Any other ideas on how to keep them out from under the liner?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.