NEW TWO-SPEED PUMP

h2ctpdjl

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2008
Indiana
My 1.5HP Hayward Super Pump went on the Fritz. I just had it replaced with a 1HP Pentair Whisperflo. The sales rep recommended the 1HP size. Anyhow, when I run it on low speed, the pump itself does not fill up entirely with water; it only fills up about 3/4 of the way up to the see through lid. Does anyone know if this is normal? I called the store, but they are closed on Saturdays. I am also wondering if I can change the motor speed while it is running or if I should turn it off first before changing it. The speed control is on a toggle switch.

h2ctpdjl said:
Anyhow, when I run it on low speed, the pump itself does not fill up entirely with water; it only fills up about 3/4 of the way up to the see through lid.
This imply s the pump basket was not full to begin with. So a few questions:

1) When priming the pump on full speed, does the pump basket completely fill with water (small bubbles are ok)?

2) Are you then saying after the pump basket is full and the motor is switched to low speed that air starts to accumulate in the pump basket?

3) How long does it take to go from nearly no air to 1/4 filled with air?

4) When the pump is shut off, does air leak in?

Once primed, the pump basket should not have a lot of air in it. A few small bubbles at the top is acceptable but 1/4 air seems a bit excessive and could be signs on an air leak.

1. Yes, on full speed, basket fills completely.
2. Yes, I believe that's what it is. Not sure if its air; the basket will be full of water to the top and then lower to below the top of the basket, but NOT below the inlet. It just churns and churns - reminds me of a witches pot boiling. Also, at this point I can then hear the water as it goes through the pipes, the heater and the filter. Not so on high speed. Kinda like its "swishing".
3. Once I switch to low speed, its just a matter of maybe a minute or two before the water level lowers.
4. The water level is about half way down in the pot after I turn the pump off. The lid fogs up, and its hard to see inside it.
Tonight, I noticed the motor was hot to the touch.

That sounds more like an air leak. The pump lid may not seal as well on low speed and so leaks a little. You could try a little pool lube on the gasket and see if that helps.

I lubed the O ring. Now, the water level in the pot appears to be holding steady (on low speed) right at the inside top edge of the basket. Do you think this is more acceptable, or do you still think there is air getting in somewhere? I am new to the two-speed pumps, so unsure what to expect from it.

Having a little air in the pump basket is not a problem. But if it gets larger over time, it could be a problem. Let it run for a full cycle and check at the end of the scheduled run time to see if it has grown. Also, are you tightening the lid fully? Sometimes it helps to tighten the lid while the pump is running but then you may need to loosen it while it is running too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I get the lid pretty tight. I will play with it a bit today while it runs its cycle and see what happens and monitor the water level in the pot, as well. Thanks for the help. I hope this all works out. Never had any issues like this before, but then, never had a two speed pump before, either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.