New and wanting to learn :)

I plan to get an above the ground pool for my kids soon but I have little knowledge on how to get start and what is needed to have a clean pool. I plan to buy an 16' by 4' intex one for now since my kids are still a bit young. I heard that if you get a saltwater system and attach to your pump, you won't have to take care of the pool as much (adding chlorine and such). It would really help if I can get some advices on how to start up a new pool. I was told that if I have the saltwater system then all I need is fill it up with water and add pool salt in then start up the system.

some of my concerns are:
- what do I do after filling the pool with the garden hose?
- How much salt should I add in the pool?
- What other things I need to buy other than the pool and saltwater system?
- Should I get another kind of pump instead of using the pump that came with the pool by Intex? If yes then what kind of pump should I buy?
- How often do I need to change the cartridge filter for the pump?

I am not sure if it's correct or not so any advices would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

The first thing to do is check and adjust the pH. Then get some FC in there with bleach. You'll need to maintain FC while you get the salt in it and circulated for 24 hours.
You can use the pool calculator to figure out how much salt you need.
One thing you should consider is a good test kit. Until you test the water, we don't know what you need besides bleach.
A lot of people get the 2650 sand filter and pump and it's a great upgrade.
It's impossible to say how often you need to clean or change the filter. It all depends on how quickly it gets dirty.

derrickng87 said:
I plan to get an above the ground pool for my kids soon but I have little knowledge on how to get start and what is needed to have a clean pool. I plan to buy an 16' by 4' intex one for now since my kids are still a bit young. I heard that if you get a saltwater system and attach to your pump, you won't have to take care of the pool as much (adding chlorine and such). It would really help if I can get some advices on how to start up a new pool. I was told that if I have the saltwater system then all I need is fill it up with water and add pool salt in then start up the system.

some of my concerns are:

derrickng87 said:
- what do I do after filling the pool with the garden hose?

You will need to add stabilizer, called Cyanuric acid. Place in an old sock and hang it in front of a running return, until it all dissolves.

derrickng87 said:
- How much salt should I add in the pool?

Check out http://www.poolcalculator.com for how much salt, CYA, and sodium hypochlorite (bleach)

derrickng87 said:
- What other things I need to buy other than the pool and saltwater system?

You will need a few tools to keep the pool clear of debris -- leaves, dirt etc -- and a good nylon pool brush.

derrickng87 said:
- Should I get another kind of pump instead of using the pump that came with the pool by Intex? If yes then what kind of pump should I buy?

The Intex/Kristal Kleer 2650 GPH sand filter has been getting rave reviews here. Be sure to buy the filter and SWG separate, as the combo units have a habit of either the pump goes out or the SWG section does, and never at the same time. Buying separate appears to have the effect of getting the better units.

derrickng87 said:
- How often do I need to change the cartridge filter for the pump?

If you go with the sand filter, you won't be changing cartridges, just backwashing the filter.

derrickng87 said:
I am not sure if it's correct or not so any advices would be greatly appreciated.

The people who told you it is "plug and play", sadly are slightly mistaken.

You will need to learn how to take care of your pool manually before starting the SWG. This does two important things:

1) "Balances" your pool chemistry.

2) Teaches you how your pool will behave. All pools have their own unique "personality" that you will need to learn. Once your pool has settled into it's normal pattern, you will be able to tell when something is about to go south.

Other things you will need:

A good test kit. You can get one from http://tftestkits.net/ The better value is the TF-100, with the XL option and the SpeedStir.

Knowledge. This can be obtained by reading pool school, linked in the upper right of every page. You should start today with this.

Note: When you go to put you pool together and fill it, it DOES need to be within 1" of level all the way around. You will need to level an area in your yard for this......"it looks level enough" isn't!

Welcome to TFP! :cheers: It sounds like you got some really good advise so far. Just keep reading pool school. When your done reading pool school, read it again! Thats what I did. In fact, I still read up in pool school almost everyday... Your in good hands on this site. The people here are the best. This is my first year with a pool and I have the cleanest, most sparkily water on my block, thanks to TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thank you everyone for your advices :). I got the installing done and filling it right now. I noticed though I got some wrinkles at the bottom of the pool and I can't straight it out. I followed the instruction on the manual and filling it up 1 inch of water and then try to straight out the bottom...but it doesn't work :hammer: .

I also noticed around the pool at the bottom there are water leaking out from the seam of the liner i think. I noticed this all around the pool. My brother in law gave me this pool 2 weeks after he bought it since he wanted a bigger one. He told me there were no leak when he was using it. I didn't see much of the water leaking from the seam but it still made me worry. I don't think using the patches would work since it's all around the pool (if only I can find bigger patches :(). Is there any other way to fix it or should I just buy a new liner from intex (it's about $225 i think).

So basically you now have a frame with almost a liner, right?

There is an alternative to the Intex liner, that may do you better. Check this thread, and see what you think:

installing-replacement-liner-inside-of-intex-18-metal-frame-t42085.html

It is doable, and may come in a little less money than what Intex charges. Here's a couple of links for liners:

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Liners/Ov ... ap-Liners/

http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Liners/Ov ... ap-Liners/

Per your wrinkles in the bottom, I don't think I've ever seen an Intex pool without a few wrinkles. I get the idea those come with the pool, free of charge. There are quite a few of these in my town, and every one of them have wrinkles. My son has helped many of his friends with installing Intex pools, and tells me that it is nigh impossible to get a wrinkle free install.

I studied at Pool School and have never looked back. The reason I don't have a lot of posts here: THIS SYSTEM OF CARE WORKS! With the right test kit TF100 and a comprehensive knowledge of what is going on with your water, YOU control the pool and have no surprises. The founders of this system know their stuff, follow their lead and you WILL be golden.

thank you for your suggestions :-D . I went out and bought several patch kits (like 10 of them lol) and patch all around the pool liner :hammer: . I figured the leak wasn't that bad to justify a new liner since the water level didn't even move much over night. So far I see no more wet spot around the outside bottom of the pool since I patched it up. I am hoping to get the most out of this liner (hopefully it will hold up till next year) before I have to do what you suggested and put another liner over the old one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.