Help-bue/cloudy water

tara15

Jun 18, 2007
Hello
This is my second year as a bbb. It seems as if im having the same problems as last year, but I just cant clear up the pool this year. First, I have a 10,000 gallon above ground pool, with a doughboy silica 2 sand filter. I have a drop test kit from leslies. Im a little low on funds, so I cant get the tfp kit yet so this will have to do.
numbers as of this afternoon
fc(dilution method)=15
tc=?
cc=?
ph=7.2
alk=90
cya=20(per leslies this weekend, i ran out on my kit)

The pool wasnt closed properly over the winter, no cover, so it was a disgusting mess to open. Thick pea soup is how i can explain it. After removing as much waste as possible, I have been putting in 1 1/2 gallons of 6% bleach once a day. I started this process 2 weeks ago this coming saturday. It has gone from a pea soup to blue/cloudy. I also have a horrible mulberry tree overhead that I have tried to cut back as much as possible, but it still drops loads of berries into the pool.(Its my MIL house, so I cant chop down the tree :( I use a leaf rake every day and scoop as much of the berries out and then vaccum the rest. I have been stuck on this blue/cloudy for several days and it doesnt seem to be improving. What can I do? Im afraid to go too much higher on the bleach for fear of hurting the liner.
Thanks
Tara

I'm not sure where you live, but in houston we've had a LOT of very sunny hot days that want to feast on chlorine. Your CYA is a little low and you might be losing some Chlorine to that. I would put a little more chlorine in to try and get to 20 PPM. There's a bleach calculator in the stickies to consult for the appropriate amount. Was the 15 PPM FC tested right after adding the bleach?

The good news is that you are making progress = maybe just need to kick things up a bit.

I would definitely talk with your MIL about removing the tree because anything organic that gets into the pool is going to consume chlorine plus making pool cleaning a real hassle. Listen to these guys around here and they will help you get clear sparkling water!

yeah..thats a negative in regards to cutting down the tree. I cut it back as much as i could, but there is still some big branches up high I cant reach dropping berries. First thing in the am is I go out to the pool, test the water, add bleach and vaccuum the berries. Ive been hitting it hard with bleach, doing it at least twice a day so it looks a little better. We live in NY but it hasnt been that hot the past few days. I can see the bottom but it is extremely cloudy. Here are the numbers as of this afternoon
fc 15(dilution)
ph 7.2
ta 90
cya 20(from the last reading)
I cant post any pics...does anyone know how?

Upload them to an image hosting site like photobucket.com. Resize them, and then when you have completed the upload you will see an "img" code. Just copy and paste into your post, if it's the right size (they have presized options for you to select) it should show fine.

I DESPISE mulberry trees. :roll:

Tara,

Some things to check:
Are you running your filter 24/7?
You said you were vacuuming every day but are you doing it to WASTE rather than through the filter?
I didn't see a Calcium Hardness number. In a vinyl pool if it's really high you can get clouds.
Are you using skimmer socks in your skimmer?
Do you have the right amount of sand in your filter?
Have you tried adding a little DE to the filter via the skimmer?

If none of these things work, I have an odd idea:
1) Raise your FC to 15.
2) Add one quart of Polyquat 60% algaecide.
3) Run 48 hours, emptying the skimmer sock as necessary
4) Re-shock your water up to 15.

Why? Polyquat is, as well as being the only good algaecide, is a flocculant and may well help the cloud particles clump where the filter can grab 'em. It won't hurt, in any case, but will drive your FC 'WAY down--that's why your shock afterwards.

Lets see if this works. ok got the pictures. The first is of the pool steps yesterday, the pool in total yesterday, and the tree that overhangs the pool. (btw the floater is empty :-D )
Some of that tree is over the lawn and the neighbors yard also

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg

These were taken just a few minutes ago. You can sort of see a tenis ball at the bottom of the pool on the third pic. I dont know if they are better or worse.
IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2138.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

These were my numbers this am
fc=3
ph 7.2
alk 90

I added 3 gallons of bleach this am, then vaccumed(to waste) and these were my numbers a little while ago

fc=20(dilution)
everything else the same

I do run my pump 24/7. It hasnt been off for over 2 weeks now, I dont use a skimmer sock, so i probably should huh? I havent checked the amount of sand in the filter since its such a [edit:jjparrish]PITA to do, but that will have to be next, and no I did not add and "de" to the filter yet. I was going to wait for it to clear up, and then add it. I know you guys dont recommend this, but I have already tried adding some floc to the pool(the blue stuff) with no results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok, so I think I will do what Carl suggested and open up the filter tomorrow and check out the sand situation. I think the last time I replaced the sand was about 3 years ago, so my filter, especially since it filters lots of organic debris, is due for a change. I was reading about a product called zeosand. Has anyone heard of this product? also, the last time I bought the sand, I bought it at harrows, which has closed down now. So, what kind of sand do I buy?
Thanks everyone for all your help
Tara

CarlD said:
frustratedpoolmom said:
I am so glad Carl has joined us here at TFP - be sure and follow his excellent advice!!!

But, but, but....I've been a member for over a year..... :rant: :hammer:

Have you? I'm sorry, I don't recall reading posts from you :oops: :oops: but then I did take the winter months off and only peared in once or twice. Thats it, I've officially lost it. :roll: ok just ignore me now!!! :blah:

tara15 said:
ok, so I think I will do what Carl suggested and open up the filter tomorrow and check out the sand situation. I think the last time I replaced the sand was about 3 years ago, so my filter, especially since it filters lots of organic debris, is due for a change. I was reading about a product called zeosand. Has anyone heard of this product? also, the last time I bought the sand, I bought it at harrows, which has closed down now. So, what kind of sand do I buy?
Thanks everyone for all your help
Tara

I can't help you with that, I have a cartridge filter and know zip about sand filters.

In the one pic, it looks like a branch is hanging IN TO the pool? You've got a tough sitiatin' as my cousin would say...those are some trees....

ok, so I changed the pool filter sand, and WOW what a difference already. The sand was full of nasty debris and guck. Its all fresh now, and the filter is running even better and I can totally see the bottom now. Its still cloudy, but hey, I just changed the sand. Im hoping Ill see more results by tomorrow. Im still shocking it up to 15. thanks again for the help.

tara15 said:
ok, so I changed the pool filter sand, and WOW what a difference already. The sand was full of nasty debris and guck. Its all fresh now, and the filter is running even better and I can totally see the bottom now. Its still cloudy, but hey, I just changed the sand. Im hoping Ill see more results by tomorrow. Im still shocking it up to 15. thanks again for the help.

If you stick with the B-B-B methods and don't use unrecommended (by TFP) chems in your pool, you may not have to change your sand again for many, many years. The sand being dirty isn't a problem, but if it's full of goop, like from a Bacq conversion, it's gotta be replaced. Also, on very, very rare occasions you can get an algae infestation in the sand and then it's best to replace it--the sand will be nearly as cheap if not cheaper than all the chlorine you'll need to kill it. Sand gets gooped up from things like a bacq conversion or some of the other chems.

Now I'd stick in a skimmer sock in the skimmer--old pantyhose can do in a pinch--and it will catch some very fine debris. Also adding a little DE (but not too much) will help the filter as well--it's amazing how the water will look "polished" this way. Start with 1/3 of a cup and your goal is to increase pump pressure 1 pound. Too much and the filter clogs, but all you have to do is backwash and start over. I'm still using the 10 pound box I bought in August of 2005--so it's very economical--far more than sand replacements with easily as-good if not better results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.