Compupool CPCS 48 - Flow Switch To Turn SWG On Off

I have a Compupool CPCS 48 Salt Water Generator (SWG). I have recently installed a Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump. In the past I just had one switch timer that would turn on both the pump and SWG. The Pentair pump has a really nice built in scheduling system for the pump. I would like to hook up a universal flow switch that would turn the SWG on and off based on when water is flowing through the pipe. I understand that the SWG has an internal timer, but I would feel better having the unit switch on and off based on water flow. This would allow me to just schedule when the pump would be running. The SWG has a water vault, but it seems to stay on even when the water has stopped moving, not a true Flow Switch.
Question 1: Does a universal flow switch exist that could be used to turn the SWG on and off.
Question 2: If yes to Q1, how would this be wired up. Does the SWG have an external connection to turn on and off or would I have to wire up a relay to turn the whole unit on and off?
Thanks

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The SWG should already have a flow switch in it; however, it is meant as a backup and there should be a power disconnect when the pump is not running. Although it does not sound like that is working in your case.

I think the ideal solution is to use a current sensing relay that cuts power to the SWG when the pump is not running. You should be able to do a search and learn more about them in the forum.

I know all about this!! :) See my signature line below.

My first recommendation is going to be to run the pump 24/7. If that isn't possible...

The CPSC48 has a clock and timer. What you can do is set it to just inside the run time of the pump. I see you know about this, but I'm going to recommend it again. Since the pump and the CPSC have battery backed clocks, it shouldn't be an issue.

The CPSC will turn itself off if there is no water flow, but CompuPool advised me to not do this.

Other than that, you have the same dilemma as me... if my SWG was Pentair, I could go full automation. But, it's not cheap.

Thanks RobbieH, during the weekend I had kinda of decided to do what you suggested. I test the CPSC48 to see if it would turn off if the pump stopped running and it did after about 2 or 3 mins. So I feel a little better that if something went wrong the SWG would turn off. I have not done much research on this, but what schedule would I use to run it 24 hours a day. I have a 20 x 40 pool about 35K gallons. A guy at the pool store gave me a suggested schedule that worked for someone else with a similar pool as mine. 12 hrs a day divided up as 4 hrs @ 24k rmp, 7 hrs @ 12k rmp, 1 hrs @ 23k rmp. Also how long do you run your SWG CPSC and at what %. Thanks for all the help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.