First time closing a 24ft. Aboveground pool

ChaosChris

Sep 17, 2012
Hey guys its that time of the year to close the pool. This will be my first time closing it myself being a brand new pool. I had them close it last year and I tried to watch as much as I could. The guys were pretty rough with my salt water stuff, light, fittings and so on. I would rather do it my self and take the time to take all the stuff apart right. It seems like they just try to close as many pools in one day as possible.

Anyways just a few questions for you guys that have the same style of pool:

1. Should I super chlorinate a few days before with my salt genrator just to clean up the water?
2. Do most of you just use the pool store winter kit to throw in the pool?
3. What is the best way to drain the pool down. Can you just stick the vaccum hose in the middle of the pool and suck it out through the skimmer or will the pump not be able to do this? I have a little sump pump but it is not the quickest.

Any other tips you guys have would be great. I will be using an air pillow again this year just not the stupied huge one they pool place used last year. They blew it up all the way and it broke within 2 weeks. I plan on getting a 4x4 on and putting it right in the middle this time.

Thanks in advance

-Chris

When I close my pool I just put the cover on as the first leaves start to drop. I continue to run the pump and I switch to 3 " pucks. When the air temp gets around 45deg during the day then I pull the pump and blow out the lines.

If you wait for the temp to drop than algae can not grow. I run the pump about 3 hrs a day.

I don't add anything to the water after I pull the pump and blow the lines.

As far as lowering the water, you can siphon with a garden hose if you like. It takes a while but it works good.

Just fill the hose up with water, hold your hands on both ends so the water can not come out, put one end in the pool, and the other end lower than the pool and release. It will suck the water out.

Where are you located? Some advice varies depends on where you're located. That's whay it's good to put your general location in your sig.

Here's how I would do it.

1) I wouldn't worry about it as long as you follow the guidelines here. Just raise it to shock level just before covering it.
2) NO! Most of us just use bleach to raise it to shock level and don't use anything else.
3) There is no one best way. I don't drain mine down, but if you need to you can use the vacuum hose to siphon it out, or you can stick the vacuum in the skimmer and pump it out that way if you have a way to drain the water. You could also use the sump pump or a water hose, but they're a lot slower.

I am located in Southern Ontario near Windsor. This is what I was told from friends that have a ABG pools:

1. Get your water balanced the days before.
2. drain pool below return jet. (I have an led light that needs to come out)
3. add 2 jugs of chlorine the night before closing
4. add winterize pool chems. on the day of closing
5. put air pillow in
6. cover the pool.
7. blow out all lines, bring pump inside and also salt water unit.

Does this sound like a good plan? Or along the proper lines? lol

#3 is pretty subjective, we would never recommend it like that. What percentage is the chlorine, what size are the jugs, what is the FC when you go to add it, etc.? You want to add enough to bring it to shock level for your CYA.

#4 Not needed at all. Just leave it out.

Everything else looks about right.

I am on a salt generator right now and running it at 10%. I am going to have the water tested today when I go to pick up the supplies I need to close the pool. The chlorine jugs I am not sure what size they are right now since I am not at home but they are the smaller yellow jugs with the red lids. Not the great big jugs. I have a 24ft round pool and I do take out alot of water due to it beign lowered under the return jet because of the light.

I just really want to get a move on it since I know the weather can turn so fast. So far the leaves have not started to fall and today is going to be 95 degree's but after today its dropping back down to 60's and that will be it for the year probably. My main goal for today is to get in the pool while its still hot and get the stairs out. Then get it vaccumed and ready to start draining.

Ok so the pool store that installed my pool told me to put 2 jugs of chlorine in the pool the night before. Then drain it down and add the winter chemicals. Anyone know if 2 jugs of chlorine will be too much?? I added one tonight and was going to add the other tomorrow morning. I just don't want to bleach the liner.

Do not have the slightest clue. I just had the water tested by my pool store and they said my pool was pretty balanced then told me 2 jugs of chlorine the night before with the pump running, then drain down the next day and add the winter kit. I just don't want the 2 jugs to fade my liner, I guess that is my main questions. Most people are telling me 2 shouldn't since most people use 2 to shock there pool when they first open it. Like I said I am still learning and there is so much information on there it is a little exhausting to a new pool owner.

We take a more measured approach to pool care. Our method is about testing accurately and then giving the pool what it needs. If your water depth is 46", then your pool is 13000 gallons. If your cyanuric acid (cya) level is 0 then we would suggest putting in 129 ounces of 12.5% bleach/liquid chlorine. If your cya was 50 ppm, we would suggest putting in 258 ounces of 12.5% bleach...significant difference. Of course you would need to also know the bleach percentage (I just assumed 12.5% since it is common).

It all starts with an appropriate test kit: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

By the way, we recommend waiting until the water is consistently below 60F before winterizing and then still below 60F in the spring when opening. This can help minimize the spring cleanup.

If you want to take charge of you pool (and probably save some money), spend a little time this off season in pool school (link near upper right of each page) and you will be on your way. Once you learn the methods taught at tfp, you will be amazed how easy and trouble free it is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ChaosChris said:
Do not have the slightest clue. I just had the water tested by my pool store and they said my pool was pretty balanced then told me 2 jugs of chlorine the night before with the pump running, then drain down the next day and add the winter kit. I just don't want the 2 jugs to fade my liner, I guess that is my main questions. Most people are telling me 2 shouldn't since most people use 2 to shock there pool when they first open it. Like I said I am still learning and there is so much information on there it is a little exhausting to a new pool owner.

Step One: Stay away from the pool store

Step Two: Get a proper test kit

Take charge of your own water and never ever ever listen to anything the pool store tells or trys to sell you.

Your still guessing about what your water needs. The pool store telling you that your water is "pretty balanced" is a joke. Your chlorine needs are based on CYA levels. You HAVE to know that level before you start this process. If your CYA is elevated 2 "jugs" isn't going to be nearly enough.

Thanks guys for all the help. Ya I am slowly learning that the pool store is not the best place for advice. I am learning more from my buddies that have had pools. I grew up with a family inground pool but now I have a brand new above ground pool and salt so it is alot different. I am finding the salt 10x's easier to care for and have never had any water issues at all. Even my stairs when I pulled them out for the second year I had not a hint of algie or anything in them. So I know through out the year I have been doing ok but this is the first time closing so that is why everything is up in the air a bit. I do plan on spending some time on this forum in the winter to learn more specially about when its time to open the pool.

I wish I could wait till my water was down to a constint 60 degrees to close but can't due to all the huge tree's and my son's hockey is starting. I just don't have the time to try and close it later. Weather here turns so fast too before you know it your trying to put the cover on in high wind and cold weather. I like to get it out of the way so I can deal with the rest of the yard work and stuff for winter.

Going to start draining the pool tonight and tomorrow put the cover on. I put 1 and 3/4 of the jugs in so I think I will be good. Guess I will find out come time to open. If this worked this year then I know I will be good from now on. If not then I will have to spend more time looking at adjusting the closing.

Last question for you guys; I wanted to install a new air pillow this year since last year mine popped after only 3 weeks due to the stupied pool guys blowing it up too much. :( Anyways not one pool store in my area carries them. I checked 5 different stores and they all said no one is using them in this area. 3 out of the 5 stores said they just add to the wind hitting your cover. I do have a floaty from the summer I could use but now I am thinking why bother. None of my friends are using them either I guess. What are your thoughts on this??

I just threw my cover on today and didn't use a pillow. I didn't use one the last 2 years I had my old pool and it was fine. I'll probably never use one again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.