Updated test results and a question

Apr 30, 2008
Here are my most recent test results. Finally got the TA down from 280 on 5/18. You all were right it is quite a process...

FC 1
CC 3
TC 4
pH 7.0
TA 90
CH 90
CYA ~80

Lots of chlorine to add tonite, but other that that how do things look. I want to add borates but have just been working on my PH/TA for the last month. Am I ready?? Also, we have a birthday party planned for Saturday. Could I get the borax & acid in tomorrow night and have the pool ready for this weekend, or should I wait? Thanks.

With a CYA that high, you don't have enough free chlorine. Also, you have very high CC's. You need to shock, and soon. Use the CYA chart to see what your FC and Shock levels are, and if you want to swim by Saturday I'd get on that....

Your ph is low. Congrats on lowering the TA, but now you need to raise the PH to about 7.4-7.6, which won't take much to do, and can be done by saturday. Don't retest the PH while shocking cause it will read inaccurately....

~Edit

Oh I see now, you were going to shock anyway.

Acid?

I would raise your PH with arm and hammer washing soda or soda ash. Anytime is fine.

Do you have an SWG? 80 for CYA is a bit high, unless you have a SWG.

derek1027 said:
Here are my most recent test results. Finally got the TA down from 280 on 5/18. You all were right it is quite a process...

FC 1
CC 3
You need to shock to get rid of the CC.
TC 4
pH 7.0
Keep aerating to bring this up to about 7.5 Don't use soda ash, it will raise the TA!
TA 90
CH 90
This is a bit low for fiberglass, shoot for around 250 ppm
CYA ~80
If you have a SWG this is perfect. If you are using bleach this is still a bit high but workable.

Lots of chlorine to add tonite, but other that that how do things look. I want to add borates but have just been working on my PH/TA for the last month. Am I ready?? Also, we have a birthday party planned for Saturday. Could I get the borax & acid in tomorrow night and have the pool ready for this weekend, or should I wait? Thanks.
Finish getting the rest of your numbers in line and then add the borates.

Waterbear, I'm curious...if he aerates to raise the PH to 7.5, how much will that lower the TA do you think?

I'm still learnin', still learnin'. That's what I love about this forum....

Also, how much would soda ash raise the TA? 90 is good, actually lower than mine, come to think of it....

frustratedpoolmom said:
Waterbear, I'm curious...if he aerates to raise the PH to 7.5, how much will that lower the TA do you think?

I'm still learnin', still learnin'. That's what I love about this forum....

Also, how much would soda ash raise the TA? 90 is good, actually lower than mine, come to think of it....
Aeration will raise the pH without raising the TA. Adding acid to drop pH lowers TA. That is why you aerate after adding the acid.
Borax will raise pH and only slightly raise TA.
Soda ash will cause both pH and TA to rise and will make TA rise faster than baking soda.
so if he aerates his TA will stay at 90 ppm which is really the high end of where it should be for unstabliized chlorine such as bleach.

Where should TA be for a pool using BBB method. I have 18 X 36' inground vinyl liner. I am in the process of lowering my TA which was 130 so that I can add borates to pool. What should be my target for TA?

It depends on your chlorine source and the amount of aeration your pool gets. With no special sources of aeration and bleach try TA between 70 and 90. For a SWG then 60 to 80. For trichlor tablets 100 to 120. For extreme aeration then 50 to 70.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
First several weeks ago I had a real problem with algae blooms on the bottom of the pool ... you guys helped out and my pool has never been better.

My numbers though now I'm a bit concerened with what do I do if anything

This morning:

30,000gal vinyliner double skimmer

fc 2.5
cc 1.5
tc 4
ph 7.8
ta 110
cya 40
ch 80
water temp 86

Questions?

1. Why all of a sudden is my combined chlorine high (1.5) ...or is that not really high
2. Is my TA a bit high?
3. P.h is a bit high yes?
4. what is optimal range for my florida pool?

dannybye said:
Questions?

1. Why all of a sudden is my combined chlorine high (1.5) ...or is that not really high
Don't know if you been getting the rains on the west coast that we've been getting in St. Augustine but if you are that could explain the high CC. Shock the pool to get rid of it. Probably algae trying to get started. Also, you are keeping your FC a bit low if you normally keep it at 2.5. I would not let it go below 3 ppm. Shoot to maintain about 4 ppm and you should have no problems.
2. Is my TA a bit high?
If you drop it to around 70-90 your pH will not rise quite as fast.
3. P.h is a bit high yes?
It's the upper limit of acceptable, you don't want it higher. What I personally recomend to my customers is to lower it to 7.5-7.6 when it hits 7.8 and to try and keep it in this range.
4. what is optimal range for my florida pool?
Your numbers look good. The only thing you might want to do if you are getting a chlorine loss from sunlight is to raise your CYA slightly but try my other suggestions first and see how it goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.