Water draining from pool pump.

Sep 6, 2013
Hello from Australia...

Hope all are well - and maybe can shed some light on my situation. I have done a few searches yet can't really see an answer.

I bought a property around 4 weeks ago and moved in - has an in-ground pool. Previous owners (renting) said the pool pump always worked fine.

Issue is - after the pump has run - after an hour or so the water drains from the pump to the level of the bottom of the inlet hose - ie filter cage itself is full - but that's it.

As you can see from the photos - it is a fairly straight forward setup. I replaced the one way valve (the black valve in the photos) but still no good??

I would have though that the one way valve would have fixed the problem - but no. There are no leaks between the pump and the one way valve (suction side).

I know the valve on top of the pump has a slight leak - but I cant see why this would cause water to seep past one way valve? ANy ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5203.JPG
    IMG_5203.JPG
    348.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_5204.JPG
    IMG_5204.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5205.JPG
    IMG_5205.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 85
Welcome to TFP.

Let me make sure I have this correct.
1) Once the pump has ran and shut off the water drains down in the pump basket to the bottom of the inlet port?
2) You have replaced the check (One Way) valve and you're sure it isn't leaking by?

If that's correct then there has to be a small leak in the plumbing between the pump basket and the check valve.
It's common for the inlet adapter at the pump suction to leak a little. Have you checked it closely?
How far is it between the pump and the check valve?

Hi Dave - correct on the first question. I tried it again yesterday and about half an hour after turning pump off the basket had drained down to the bottom of the inlet pipe.

It is a brand new Jandy valve - but somehow I think water may be getting past as I can see through the clear cover that the bowl on the one way valve is not full - strange as it is brand new. Originally it was just one of those non-spring loaded one way valves - I took it out and tested and it solely leaked so I obviously thought that was the issue.

I know there is a very slight leak in the multi-port valve - I have discussed with my pool guy, but I thought the one way valve would still stop the water leaking back?

It is about 6 feet between pump and check valve.

I have checked quite a few times and it is dry as a bone around all the piping.

Thanks for the help.

Hey Dave,

Good news!

I think I have cracked it. In the last photo with the piping and the one way valve - you can see that between the one-way valve and the shed - the pipe (50mm) had actually bowed down. What I did was get a rock and a paver and put it under the pipe so it was level - and actually from the one way valve ran slightly upward into the pump.

I have started it a least 4 times, turned it off and let it for over 6 hours and it starts again no worries.

My theory is- with the bend in the pipe making it lower than the one way valve - if any air got it - it was sitting up in the one way valve and not helping it with good sealing pressure and leaking away - may or may not be right but ant least its fixed!

Cheers. Leigh.

Bugger!

After about 6 or so auto cycles - got home today and I can see that the water seems to have drained past the one way valve again! The last couple of times - when I looked at the clear cover on the valve, I could see the valve was totally filled with water - with no air in the valve at all. Now it looks like the valve is only about half full.

Being a brand new valve - and for the last couple of days holding water fine - cant understand why it's draining!!!

Mmmmmm - strange again - the pump ran last night from about 8 - 10pm - and when I got up this morning - the one way valve was holding and full of water.

When the pump is running their is no air bubbles coming out of the jets or in the actual pump itself - so doesn't look like an air leak.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.