Leak in pipe coming into filter - Purex Triton FS 400

AB

Jan 18, 2011
Houston, TX
Hi, I have a small leak where the pvc pipe (bringing water into the filter) comes into my purex triton cartridge filter. Water trickles down the edge of the filter.
Any advice for how to seal/stop this leak? Am a bit apprehensive about unscrewing the pipe from filter, in case it is glued and cracks/makes a bigger leak in the process.
Thanks!

Do you have pics? is there a threaded nut? if so there is a o-ring, try pool lubing and hand tighten then one turn with plyers. was solar or another valve not open restricting flow and "heating" up water? may have cracked filter housing, a temp fix maybe use PVC glue...

Hi, I have attached a picture. Above the pipe it looks like the filter is cracked in the picture but I don't think it is. There is a trickle of water around the black part which connects the pipe to the cartridge filter.

I am not sure if it is a threaded nut, but I don't have a solar system.

Pls let me know what you think - thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20130908_160435.jpg
    IMG_20130908_160435.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 61
Hello,
it is a Purex Triton FS 400 cartridge filter (takes 4 cartridges). Does that help any? Or are there subdivisions of this model?

I think you guys are right. When I cover up the cracked part water comes around my fingers.

Any advice on how to repair this? Should I use PVC cement/glue?

Thanks, Aaron

AB said:
Hello,
it is a Purex Triton FS 400 cartridge filter (takes 4 cartridges). Does that help any? Or are there subdivisions of this model?

I think you guys are right. When I cover up the cracked part water comes around my fingers.

Any advice on how to repair this? Should I use PVC cement/glue?

Thanks, Aaron

If you look closely at the filter you can see lots of random small "veins" embeded in the surface of the plastic. Those are fibers - typically made from glass - that are part of the plastic and reinforce it for strength. It's not real common to see glass reinforced PVC with fibers that are that big, but it is much more common to see Polyester plastic reinforced that way, commonly known as Fiberglas. Therefor I don't think PVC cement/glue would work. You could go to your local hardware store (or marine supply store) and pick up a Fiberglas repair kit which usually includes some woven glass matting, some polyester resin and some hardener. If you were to repair that correctly, you'd want to put the repair primarily on the inside of the filter and while you're at it, add a layer on the outside too.

....and one more thing....if you go ahead with this repair you should try to find the place where the crack ends and take a small drill (1/16") and drill a hole that goes right through the end of the crack. That's called, Stop Drilling the Crack, and you do this because cracks like to keep, well....cracking....even when glued together. But if you drill the end of the crack you eliminate the concentration of forces that cause the crack to continue.

Update - I took your advice and got a fiberglass repair kit at HD. It was a clay-like substance that you roll between your fingers and press into place.

When I checked the inside of the filter it was definitely cracked inside as well so thanks for that advice.

The strange thing about this epoxy is that it said it would harden after 20 minutes "as strong as steel" however after 24 hours it was still just as soft clay-ey. I turned on the pump and hoped for the best.

Unfortunately the leak still occurs, although probably about 75% of it is fixed.

Next steps - use PVC or another fiberglass repair substance to fix it once and for all? Any specific brands of cements, etc would be much appreciated. Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.

Fiberglass filters flex when you turn on the pump.....they expand. Any type of fix you apply to that crack that cannot expand and contract will continue to leak.

I would suggest you bite the bullet and get a new filter body. Sorry to offer that advice but repairing fiberglass is no easy task

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok...any ideas on what would be a replacement for my purex triton FS 400 "Seahorse"? I have not found this one for sale.
Maybe the company went out of business or renamed it to a different model? It is a 4 cartridge filter.

The cartridges alone are around $70 * 4 = $280 so if a new one includes cartridges maybe it would be cost effective.

AB said:
Update - I took your advice and got a fiberglass repair kit at HD. It was a clay-like substance that you roll between your fingers and press into place.

Doesn't sound like you got a fiberglass repair kit, sounds like you got epoxy instead; different animal. Agree at this point the best solution for you is to replace rather than repair. Sorry I don't have replacement recommendations.

Just wanted to say "Thanks!" to all who responded. I finally went out and got the right thing, a Bondo fiberglass repair kit. I first was lazy and tried to only repair the outside, but it only stopped about 30% of the leak. Then I took out the filter cartridge and repaired the inside which was very tough to get to as it was behind the filter return pipe inside the filter. This stopped around 75% of the leak.

Then two weeks later I put another application, about 5 fiberglass pieces, around the outside and reinforced my previous work. Cross your fingers but this seems to have done the trick. Hopefully this will save me $800 on a new filter!

This forum is really great for helping DIY-ers - such a quick and knowledgeable response 100% of the time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.