Chicago IL
Just tested after 2 days ::

FC 6.0
CC 0.0
PH 7.3
TA 130
CYA 10

What are the effects of such low cya?
Reason i stay away from stabilizer is i get like a chlorine type rash everytime i add it , no matter how small of increments.

The effect will be you will lose more FC to sunlight. How much are you losing per day? That would lead to higher costs for more bleach/chlorine.

Are you sure the rash is from the added CYA? It's possible your FC isn't high enough for the CYA level you bring it to leading to CC, that can cause a rash? Are you able to always maintain a FC of 2-3 constantly with the low CYA without it dropping below 2 at any time?

FC/CYA chart
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

This has been going on for a few years with me .Swam with high/low FC , no prob. High/low Ph no prob. If i add a handfull of chlorine stablizer , itchy dry rash on back and legs that last a week.... Last time it happened i drained 1/2 the pool , just kept up with FC/PH . Added 0 stabilizer, havent had a problem since

I assume that 10 ppm is a guestimate since the TF-100 only goes down to 20 ppm so you see the water in the tube being a tad cloudy but can still see the black dot, correct?

I can't find anyone reporting anywhere about sensitivity to CYA and nothing in the scientific literature on it that I could find. So that's really unfortunate that it causes you problems. I wonder if perhaps it's only with some brands of CYA such as some imports that some people found don't raise the CYA as much as they should which implies they have some sort of filler and perhaps that is what is irritating.

chem geek said:
I assume that 10 ppm is a guestimate since the TF-100 only goes down to 20 ppm so you see the water in the tube being a tad cloudy but can still see the black dot, correct?

I can't find anyone reporting anywhere about sensitivity to CYA and nothing in the scientific literature on it that I could find. So that's really unfortunate that it causes you problems. I wonder if perhaps it's only with some brands of CYA such as some imports that some people found don't raise the CYA as much as they should which implies they have some sort of filler and perhaps that is what is irritating.

Yep the water was just a little cloudy at the top ,between 0-20, did it twice same result ... Thats what i was thinking at first , this rash thing happens with two things , Chlorine Pucks/Tabs and Chlorine stabilizer..... When i switched my chlorine to Liquid Chlor for FC , and Borax for PH , the problem totally went away. I narrowed it down to stabilizer/chlor tabs. There must be just some chem in there that dont agree with me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.