Cartridge filter quest...

Rynz

Jul 1, 2013
Chicago IL
I have a Black Diamond 90sq ft cartridge filter from American pool sales here's the prob:::

To clean my cartridge:

I turned pump OFF
Closed off the intakes from the pool
Released to air valve on top of filter
Unscrewed top ring to get at the cartridge
Removed cartridge and cleaned ...no prob

Now water level is about 2inches from top of opened filter canister.
I put the cleaned filter back in ,Screwed the top cap back on til it lock clicked
With the top back on and water valves open, i unscrew the little air valve til water comes out to prime.
BUT when i prime the filter and fill the whole canister i get drips around the locking ring that keeps the top on.
When i keep the water level just under the very top of the cartridge no leaks......

Should the water level in the filter be just under the top of the cartridge?? or should the whole filter canister be filled ??
Pressure is at 10psi , which its been all summer

The entire filter should be filled. If you leave any air in the filter, it will get compressed and push the water backward through the filter when the pump shuts off.

Did you adequately lube up the seal between the halves of the filter?

jblizzle said:
The entire filter should be filled. If you leave any air in the filter, it will get compressed and push the water backward through the filter when the pump shuts off.

Did you adequately lube up the seal between the halves of the filter?

Just an FYI. Not all cartridge filters are supposed to have lube applied to that seal. The Pentair manual explicitly advises against it. I don;t have the manual for the Black Diamond 90 Cartridge Filter but I would advise checking the cleaning and reinstallation instructions before lubricating the seal.

bumpy1 said:
Just an FYI. Not all cartridge filters are supposed to have lube applied to that seal. The Pentair manual explicitly advises against it.
Can you give us the model that says that? My sis has a Pentair cartridge filter and I've read the entire manual and didn't see any warning about not using lube on the seal.

Rynz said:
Yep when i fully prime the entire canister i get a drip around the locking cap, theres no way to tighten it because it snap locks... Should i prime using the air release valve when the pump is on or off??

Ah, I just check some pics and see there is a "screw top" and not a band or something holding it together. Is there a seal at the top? Maybe it is damaged or worn out.

I think i got it .... For some reason while the pump is off and i prime it using the little air valve i get a drip... With the pump on i loosen the plastic screw , at first some air then water .. No drips..weird

Bama Rambler said:
bumpy1 said:
Just an FYI. Not all cartridge filters are supposed to have lube applied to that seal. The Pentair manual explicitly advises against it.
Can you give us the model that says that? My sis has a Pentair cartridge filter and I've read the entire manual and didn't see any warning about not using lube on the seal.

Sta-Rite S7M120 cartridge filter (it's in my sig).

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/System3SMOM.pdf

Page 5: "NOTICE: Be sure upper tank half contacts Cord Ring
surface evenly and seal area is clean and free from dirt.
Do not lubricate Cord Ring; lubricants may cause the
Ring to swell."

I was actually very surprised as well !

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.