Intex Ultra Frame in wall skimmer - keep water depth?

Jun 10, 2012
Pennsylvania
So I know there are a ton of threads on this topic, but none seem to address the question I have about what I'm thinking about doing. I want to install a Hayward skimmer, however I don't really want to lose the depth of the water. I saw some threads on people installing above the weld, but I worry about being able to get it tight enough at the top and how difficult it might make taking the cross bar out/in during take down and set up. So the idea I had was to cut a notch in the outside of the sleeve to accommodate the skimmer. I'm just not sure if this will compromise the strength of the wall too much and cause issues. I attached a picture illustrating what I'm talking about below (I just used Google image search, so if this picture belongs to you I hope you don't mind me using it!). Anyone have any thoughts on this? Good idea? Bad idea? Since it's almost take down time I'm thinking it may be a good time to try so if I totally screw it up we aren't pool-less during good swim time. Would love to hear other opinions on this before I actually take the plunge, though.

Attachments

• image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 140
sgtcampbelld - do you have pictures of how you did it? After re-reading my post I think maybe I wasn't clear enough so I'm not sure if I'm being totally understood. The skimmer wouldn't actually be attached to where the sleeve is notched on the outside, but rather sit under it, allowing for some extra play for sliding the cross bar in and out and to get a good tight seal on the top of the skimmer. So the skimmer would be attached to the sleeve on the inside of the pool, and be partially covered by the notched sleeve on the outside. Does that make sense? I've seen the posts where they were mounted above the weld, but both sides of the sleeve were sandwiched between the skimmer and face plate. With how I want to do it, only the side of the sleeve that is inside of the pool would be sandwiched.

I guess you could try that, but it's not really necessary to keep a substantial water depth.

I installed a Hayward skimmer and have the bolt holes at the top of the weld. This places the top of the actual skimmer a little higher than the weld. In this position I am able to have the water depth one blue square down from the liner, which is where I liked it prior to installing the skimmer. This also puts the water level in the sweet spot of the skimmer which is right at the level of the top/side screws.

As to taking it off and re-installing, there is not a prohibitive amount of pressure or squeeze on the top rail to prevent it. I put the skimmer on easily with the pool 3/4 full, and is how I will re-install it next summer. As to take-down, I'll simply remove it once the water is low enough.

Given all the above, I can only see one reason to make such a significant cut in the liner as you describe. That is if you want to run the water level right at the very top of the pool where the blue squares end and the gray fabric begins.

Best of luck and wishes with whatever you decide.

Jim

image_zps0850c386.jpg

Thanks, Jim. The water depth you describe isn't bad, and I'm not opposed to it. I guess my main concern is having another summer like this past one as far as rain goes. I was constantly backwashing and vacuuming to waste to lower the water level and our pool was still overflowing, especially if we happened to be away during one of the many 2+ inch rain events we had this past summer. But then again I guess that's another benefit of the in-wall skimmer, to spill off water if it starts getting too high. I may try it just for the sake of trying it for anyone else that may want to have as high of water level as possible. I have a spare liner from a warranty claim I filed for leaks when we first got this one, but since it took so long to get to us we had time to find every single leak and patch them. This liner has made it through 2 seasons and while I would like to get more, if I screw this up and destroy it it's not a huge issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.