Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How is your booster pump plumbed?

1. Back To Top    #1

How is your booster pump plumbed?

So...

I'm plumbing my pool equipment right now, specifically the booster pump for my Polaris 280 robot. The installation manual says to plumb it in UP-stream of the chlorinator. I was under the understanding that you wanted your robot distributing the freshly chlorinated water around while it worked? Will I have a problem if I do it this way? Or just Tee it in after the filter/heater like the manual says?

I'm interested in some opinions here from other booster pump owners.

Thanks...
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How is your booster pump plumbed?

Chlorine will get into the water just fine via the normal return jets. The chlorinator creates a much stronger mixture in the line than what is in the pool. The constant stream of highly chlorinated water may damage the plastic parts of the Polaris, erode the filter bag, etc.

The Polaris does a great job of helping stir up the water in the pool, but it isn't designed to be a chemical injection system.
    26,000 Gallon Gunnite IGP
    2 HP Challenger High Head Pump
    60sf Nautilus DE filter
    Polaris 280

3. Back To Top    #3

My booster pump intake is plumbed downstream of my chlorinator (SWG). Can post pictures if you would like.
    11,000 gal. gunite w/midnight blue and white pearl PebbleTec
    Intelliflo 4x160 pump
    Intellichlor IC-20 SWG
    Pentair cartridge filter 420 sq. ft.
    Mastertemp 400K BTU heater
    Legend Platinum cleaner
    Pool School
    JasonLion's Pool Calculator
    TF Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Dave,

I think I actually saved a picture you posted during your build of your plumbing showing yours downstream too. I've seen a couple other pics of plumbing pads arranged with the booster down stream of the SWCG. I guess now I'm torn which way to do it. I might just put an extra Tee on both sides and swap it if I see a problem.

Jim
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...