Whinning Pentair WhisperFlo Pump

nthole

Jul 9, 2012
It's always something. Added the Liquidator this spring after switching to BBB method last year and my pool has never looked so good. We're in the middle of a heater install (heater is installed and plumbed, just waiting for the gas company to run the gas line for supply) and this afternoon walk out and hear the motor whinning. I know this morning when I tested and checked the pressure it was running just fine.

I bought the pump exactly 6 years ago (Sept 2007). We generally have the pool open from mid-April till the last weekend of Sept (expect to extend to Oct now with the heater). I run the pump 24/7.

Video in order to hear the whinning.
http://youtu.be/QeE2XJsegnc

Attached a few images of the pump labels if that helps.

My inclination based on searching and reading is bearing failure. I'd like to just replace the motor if I could. Not sure how long it would be to repair the motor, if I could let it limp along until I closed the pool then I'd have more down time. I've never not operated it 24/7 so would need to figure out the amount of time for proper chlorination and filtering. I suppose I could order a new one and get this one repaired as a backup. I guess even getting a new motor I'd likely not even get a chance to install it until the end of the season anyway.

The last Pentair I had went 10 years. A little disappointed to hear this at only 6 years.

Any expert feedback or advice?

Attachments

• IMG-20130904-00480.jpg
    IMG-20130904-00480.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG-20130904-00482.jpg
    IMG-20130904-00482.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG-20130904-00488.jpg
    IMG-20130904-00488.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 74
I would suggest ordering a new 2-speed motor to have on hand if the current one dies. Then either repair it as a back up or take it to a recycling center. Although once you have the new motor on hand it is only an hour job to switch it out and start saving $ on electricity by running on low (you will need to add a switch though to pick speeds.).

Is the current motor wired for 230V? As nearly all the 2-speed motors are 230V.

Hmmm, not sure on how to add the switch though. Whether that means you add a switch in line or if I'd have to add another outlet onto the wall. What's the switch do, only power it with one of the hot leads? I'd be all for having the lower speed for saving money, although since I run it all the time I guess that just means it would turn the pool over much more slowly.

Not sure if I can ask this question, but reputable source for the motors online? I'll make a few local calls as well. I was hoping to see online the item so I know the part numbers and the proper set of gaskets/orings.

Do you have a timer at all at this point? You would need to have a switch between the power source and the motor. You can find switches that install right on the back of the motor or you could just use a 3-way light switch in a junction box. If you do the later, you would need to add an additional wire from the switch to the motor. The switch just selects the low or high speed.

There is no reason you need to be running your current pump 24/7 ... just switching to low speed 24/7 would lower your electrical use to 25% of now. But even that is likely more than you need.

Confirm you current motor voltage.
Ideally you want a 1.25 SF HP motor, but that may be the 3/4HP 2-speed motor which comes at 115V.

If you are currently 115V, then the direct replacement is a B2981
If you are currently 230V, then you could use the slightly larger B2982 with your current impeller with no issues. OR an original Pentair motor with the switch included is 356630S

I could not find the smaller 3/4HP pump from Pentair with the switch included.

And the Go-Kit32 includes all the seals in the pump including the required shaft seal.

I just bought a Pentair 356630S (with switch) to replace my failed motor last week for around $230 shipped online. Your current motor should last 6 weeks, my old motor started whining at the beginning of the season this year and finally failed 1 week ago. Just make sure you spend the extra money on a 2-speed motor when you replace it, they are much quieter and will save you $$$ over the life of the motor.

You guys absolutely rock.

I've found the 2 speed motor online for the $230 shipped. I just need to confirm the voltage today and then it seems like I might as well pull the trigger and get it taken care of, especially since I like to run all the time and can probably pay for the pump just by the electricity I save! I don't have a timer and wasn't too interested in putting one on. I might have to look into that in the future.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.