Pool slightly cloudy.. Please help it sparkle again

Shaf77

Jun 10, 2010
Toronto, ON. Canada
Our pool has been looking great all summer with help from TFP!!

Last night i noticed that the pool looked a little cloudy.

Here are the test results.

Aside from raising my chlorine, what else can I do to get it to sparkle again? Should I raise it to 3 by adding 72oz of 6% bleach?

Should I change settings on my SWCG to increase cl production? It's currently at 35% and I run it for 10 hrs a day.

My CYA is low but we will be closing the pool in a few weeks.

TA is high i think...

Pool%20Testing.jpg

You've let your FC fall too low. At 3 you were OK, but when you got down to 2, that would have been the time to bump up the SWG. Yes, add the bleach immediately to bring FC back up. The SWG can take over from there, just turn up the percentage a few clicks and readjust as necessary.

Since the FC has been low for so long, I believe it's time to run an OCLT and see if you have a problem. What to do at that point may be up to you, since you are closing soon.

I find I can see the cloudiness in my pool before the testing shows any CC, so, the suggestion your FC is low is accurate. When it happens in my pool, it typically means my FC is a point low.

If the pool has already gone cloudy, it is too late to just bump the FC a bit. You need to start the SLAM process. If you have caught it early, then it should only take a couple days to pass the 3 criteria to stop. [slam:p103fddl][/slam:p103fddl]

jblizzle said:
If the pool has already gone cloudy, it is too late to just bump the FC a bit. You need to start the SLAM process. If you have caught it early, then it should only take a couple days to pass the 3 criteria to stop. [slam:2rznt5jg][/slam:2rznt5jg]

Thanks. In the shallow end, I can see the water just fine. In the deep end (8'), I can see the drain, but just a little hazy / cloudy..

Depends if the cloudiness is due to low level algae or some external source.

I would start the SLAM process and run the filter 24/7. Sounds like it should only take a few days and an OCLT will confirm if it is algae or not.

jblizzle said:
Depends if the cloudiness is due to low level algae or some external source.

I would start the SLAM process and run the filter 24/7. Sounds like it should only take a few days and an OCLT will confirm if it is algae or not.

Thanks.

Would any of these chemicals that the pool builder left for us come in handy?

A package of KlearSok (125g) -
3 x 450g packages of shock plus - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/778 ... 01010E.pdf

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't know what the first one is, but the second one is CalHypo and will add CH to the pool. Since you are already at 200 and have a vinyl pool, I would avoid it.

Those CalHypo additions tend to cloud pools for a bit, too. You didn't add one recently, did you?

RobbieH said:
I don't know what the first one is, but the second one is CalHypo and will add CH to the pool. Since you are already at 200 and have a vinyl pool, I would avoid it.

Those CalHypo additions tend to cloud pools for a bit, too. You didn't add one recently, did you?

No. Haven't ever used it.

Btw - pool will be closed in a few weeks and we will be getting a new liner in the spring as this one had a leak and was patched. We had the pool builder agree to a new one.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

You guys are all awesome.

Need some helps with calcs now please.

I added 5L of 3% bleach earlier. Based on my math it would have raised my FC from 1 to 3.4 ish.

If I need to get to 12.2 FC (based on my CYA of 30) to hit the shock level, would adding 875g of calhypo (I assume what I have is 65%) be right?

Secondly, I have never used calhypo before, so should I dissolve it then add to the pool?

There is no need to be super exact. SLAM level for a CYA of 30ppm is between 12-13ppm.

Ideally you should measure you current FC level put that in the Now column in the calculator and put your Target FC in as well. Then to the right select 65% cal-hypo and it will tell you the amount to add. For example to get from 3 to 12, in a 66500 litre pool it would take 928 grams. BTW, I used the metric units in the calc (the 3 volumes you have listed in your signature are slightly different from each other).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.