Question about plaster?

Hpdrifter

LifeTime Supporter
I had my pool put in at the end of last year. It is a gunite construction. After they plastered my pool they began to fill it. I was told to brush it 2x a day for 2 weeks which I did. This year I had a lot of algea when I opened the pool. After repeated shocking, scrubbing ect, I got in the pool and noted that the algea was sticking to areas of the plaser that weren't smooth. I have a lot of areas that aren't smooth. Areas around the steps, the bench seating, ect. So here's my question how do I tell a "bad" plaster job from a good one? If I contact my PB will he simply say....it's your fault you didnt brush it enough or properly, ect? How do I fix this problem if it is a problem? Thanks!

I had a few rough spots as well and used some fine grit wet sand paper and sanded them smooth. It works pretty well but because it is fine grit, you have to work some to get it smooth.

Mark,

You bring up an interesting point. I am just a few weeks away from plaster and not looking forward to brushing while not being able to get in. Is there any harm in not brushing at all until the pool is swimmable and then doing it with sandpaper from inside the pool?

I think I would enjoy working while cool instead of sweating from the edge. Not to mention, doing the deep end would be good freediving practice :lol:

Sanding works for a few rough spots but I would never try that for an entire pool.

I brushed my pool 3 to 4 times per day while curing and I am so glad I did. Most of it was as smooth as a baby's butt. But even brushing as much as I did, there are places where I could not reach which is I resorted to the sanding but it still wasn't that bad.

I would encourage you to brush as much as possible. A long pole brush is fine so you don't need to be in the pool to do it.

Hpdrifter said:
I have a lot of areas that aren't smooth. Areas around the steps, the bench seating, ect. So here's my question how do I tell a "bad" plaster job from a good one? If I contact my PB will he simply say....it's your fault you didnt brush it enough or properly, ect? How do I fix this problem if it is a problem? Thanks!

That is a very good question..we're kind of in the same boat. We had plaster on 5/20 and aside from the rough spots you mention, we also have gouges. I was religious about brushing and I'm sure it's not from the corner of the brush. It's really heavy on the floor of the spa but not in the corners, where the corner might catch or scrape. I don't even know if it's possible to scratch the plaster with the brush. So yeah, how do you tell a good plaster job from a bad one? I don't think any surface will be 100% smooth, but it shouldn't be rough everywhere, either.

You should contact your PB with your concerns and the sub that did the work should stand behind it. I spoke with the owner of the plaster co. before they sent the guys out to sand it (during the day..you can't see the majority of it) It didn't work, so now I'm trying to convince the PB and plaster guy to come at 8pm. It's glaringly obvious at night with the lights on.

Cobra, you should be able to get in 24-36 hrs. after it's been filled. Brushing isn't fun but it's needed. The areas we don't have rough spots or gouges are really, really smooth. After swimming in a 12yr. old pebble pool, it's like heaven.

mas985 said:
I had a few rough spots as well and used some fine grit wet sand paper and sanded them smooth. It works pretty well but because it is fine grit, you have to work some to get it smooth.

are you talking about regular fine grit sand paper or is this something special? If so, where would I go to find this?

I was pretty vigilant about brushing but I still have some areas around the steps where the little tiles are that are kind of rough. I just thought I'd have to live with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.