Pool Epoxy vs. replastering

JT2006

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Southwest Arizona (Yuma)
I am going to drain and acid wash my pool once the season is over. If the stains dont come out I want to get the plaster redone. But here lies my problem... There are only two pool companies in the town I live in one gave me a quote of almost $8000 which I believe is extremely high and the other came out but never got back to me with a quote...I don't trust either one of them... So I ran into this Pool epoxy while searching the web and figured I would get opinions on it here.

Thanks,

JB

I'm in a similar boat to you. I initially looked at tiling our marblesheen pool but after a $25,000 estimate, I looked elsewhere. I had set up two guys to quote a replaster, but neither showed up. I have looked closely at Epotec epoxy and have spoken to them on a few occasions and as much as many (most, it seems) will tell you it's a waste of time, from what I've gathered it depends on preparation, the right product, preparation and preparation. Did I mention preparation? The product you choose needs to be a high build POOL SPECIFIC epoxy with a very high solids percentage (95%+) and UV stabilisation. Preparation is key, in that the surface is 100% sound, clean, degreased and roughened up (marblesheen makes a nice base). I have yet to pull the trigger, but I am close.
The company I will use have said the finish can last anywhere from 5 to 20+ years, depending on myriad factors such as level of usage, traffic, sun exposure, cover usage, floor cleaner use, etc. The surface will slowly degrade with time, that is the nature of epoxies, hence why you want one that is mostly solids, not thinners, and high build. The thicker the film, the longer it will last. Extra coats on the stairs and traffic areas of the pool will help longevity.
I'm expecting 5yrs, for the price that's pretty good in my books, and in 5 years I might have the cash for tiles! Those pearlescent glass tiles look simply amazing!
Speaking of price, as a DIY kit I've been quoted a bit over $2000 for the kit, including primer. I don't think there's a "great" product for anything close to that.
I'll be doing mine in the coming months, so if you can wait, I'll report on the application part at least! I've got a thread in the Construction forum, Pool Refurb in Melbourne.
Cheers!

I'm in a similar boat to you. I initially looked at tiling our marblesheen pool but after a $25,000 estimate, I looked elsewhere. I had set up two guys to quote a replaster, but neither showed up. I have looked closely at Epotec epoxy and have spoken to them on a few occasions and as much as many (most, it seems) will tell you it's a waste of time, from what I've gathered it depends on preparation, the right product, preparation and preparation. Did I mention preparation? The product you choose needs to be a high build POOL SPECIFIC epoxy with a very high solids percentage (95%+) and UV stabilisation. Preparation is key, in that the surface is 100% sound, clean, degreased and roughened up (marblesheen makes a nice base). I have yet to pull the trigger, but I am close.
The company I will use have said the finish can last anywhere from 5 to 20+ years, depending on myriad factors such as level of usage, traffic, sun exposure, cover usage, floor cleaner use, etc. The surface will slowly degrade with time, that is the nature of epoxies, hence why you want one that is mostly solids, not thinners, and high build. The thicker the film, the longer it will last. Extra coats on the stairs and traffic areas of the pool will help longevity.
I'm expecting 5yrs, for the price that's pretty good in my books, and in 5 years I might have the cash for tiles! Those pearlescent glass tiles look simply amazing!
Speaking of price, as a DIY kit I've been quoted a bit over $2000 for the kit, including primer. I don't think there's a "great" product for anything close to that.
I'll be doing mine in the coming months, so if you can wait, I'll report on the application part at least! I've got a thread in the Construction forum, Pool Refurb in Melbourne.
Cheers!

So how is epoxy holding up?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.