Salt Level Test

Oct 14, 2009
What would you reccomend that I purchase to test the salt level in my pool? I have a panel that displays my salt level, but I think it is underestimating my salt level. It is reading 2700 but I think it is higher.

Thanks for your help! :?

As far as I know, it gets no better. I only have experience with these though, I have no experience with electronic systems. I can't imagine how those would be more accurate than a drop-based, precipitate, quantitative test set though.

As far as I know, you can not recalibrate the Hayward SWG. You can temporarily override the average salt reading with an instant salt reading, but it will drift back to the previous average.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It tells you how on the sheet inside the test box.

I think it is 10ml water, 1 drop or the yellow, then count drops of the other until it turns a brick red times 250ppm ... {from memory}

Or 25ml water and each drop is 100ppm.

I received my salt test kit today. It showed my salt level at 4200. My display is showing 2600. Is there anything I need to do? I am not having any problems with my chlorine levels. I am afraid my display will keep dropping and cause it to go to low salt level even though the level is high. If Temperature makes a difference, my water temp is 92 degrees.

Thanks for your help!

The cell is clean. We just checked it last week. It is 4 years old. We never close the pool so it runs year round. Right now I have it at 20% and it is maintaining the chlorine level.

Thanks!

3 to 5 years is kind of the expected life time ... and yours runs year round.

If you replace the cell, you may find you have to replace water to lower the salt level.

Have you had the cell tested at a pool store?

I have not taken the cell to the pool store. I guess I should do that. If I observe the test at the pool store will it be obvious to me the cell is bad or could they tell me it is bad when it is still good? If it is stil making chlorine at such a low percentage should I still have it tested?

Thanks!

I am not sure how obvious the cell test is. I do not know if it is a go/no go where it produces or not ... or if they can tell if it is just degraded. i would guess then have water in the correct salt range and see if it will produce ... if your cell is giving low salt readings, then it will not work.

The work around is raising the salt in your pool so the unit keeps producing. The downside is when you replace the cell, your salt level will be too high.

Have the pool store test your salt level as well to confirm you reading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.