Green tint to water

Oct 10, 2011
I seem to have found the green water again. I shocked the pool and went out of town for about a week and when I returned I found that the pool water had returned to about FC=6 which I thought was ok. I did put in a bottle of chlorine because I had some green color on the steps. I brushed the pool after getting all the leaves off the solar cover and went for a swim later in the day. This morning I woke up to a mildly green tented water. I guess the organic mater on the cover started a bloom and I turned on the heater also to get the water up a bit. So I back washed it and dumped another bottle of bleach in. Do I need to shock it again or do you think it will clear up?

By "I shocked the pool" I am guessing this means you added a product and did not go through the SLAM process? Can you please post what the name of that product is?

Can you post a picture of the water?

How about a full set of test results?

By shocking the pool I mean that I brought the chlorine level to shock level according to the CYA chart using just plane bleach. The FC during my trip went down from the 25 or so level to about 6 when I returned. After uncovering the pool and removing the leaf debris I added a bottle of bleach to it but the today it is slightly green. I wonder if I should add bleach to get it back to shock level or if it will clear up just keeping it at the normal FC level?

I do have the recommended test kit. My CYA level is 40 and the FC never went to zero. So I was wondering if there is a reason that the water turned green that I may avoid in the future. The pool gets a lot of debris from the overhanging trees so when I leave I cover it with solar cover this time of year to catch most of it and I turn the pump off so that I dont run the risk of burning it up if it should get stopped up. Could it have just been the amount of leaves that fell in the pool while I was away? It also got a large amount of rain.

Regardless of how the water got green, I think you should follow the SLAM process to the T and that will take care of it.

Are you sure your FC level did not drop below 3 ? 3-7 is your range for your CYA level of 40 with 5 being your target. I always keep mine above the target level so I don't fall below my min. Before you SLAM I would double check your CYA level just to see what it is.

I only added bleach. The CYA =40. The FC was checked and was 6 when I returned and I added a gallon of bleach then knowing I was going to get a lot of leaf debris off the cover opening it up again. I took it to shock level again with bleach and have yet to check it because it needs to circulate a bit first. We will see what it is tonight. Thanks for the advice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.