so many questions

G

Hi,

I'm new here and have some questions. To start, I do not have the test kit you all speak of but I will be purchasing it later this week.

*Currently, we use trichol tablets in an automatic chlorinator--will I be able to continue use of the automatic chlorinator when I use the BBB methods?

*When using the BBB method, on an average/normal basis, how often do I put in the bottle(s) of bleach?

*And how much on normal/avg basis? Like 1 bottle, etc. per day?

*Do they make anything to handle the liquid bleach process automatically?

*Where do I find Muriatic acid and what does it do for the pool? (I have read Pool School a couple times and all of this is so confusing... it will sink in in time ...)

Thanks

Momo2es said:
Hi,

I'm new here and have some questions. To start, I do not have the test kit you all speak of but I will be purchasing it later this week.
Welcome :wave:
*Currently, we use trichol tablets in an automatic chlorinator--will I be able to continue use of the automatic chlorinator when I use the BBB methods?
You can, but the problem with that is the tabs contain CYA, which does not dissipate in your pool so it just keeps building up. As it builds up you have to add more and more bleach to overcome it. If you can add bleach daily or every other day you should be good to go and skip the tabs.

*When using the BBB method, on an average/normal basis, how often do I put in the bottle(s) of bleach?
Daily if possible, I get away with every other day sometimes.

I have a 6500 gallon pool and I put in 2.5 cups of bleach a day, or one 128 oz bottle of bleach per week.

Not sure.

*Where do I find Muriatic acid and what does it do for the pool? (I have read Pool School a couple times and all of this is so confusing... it will sink in in time ...)
You can find that at most hardware stores. People use it to clean concrete.

Thanks
You are welcome. I am fairly new to this too having converted from Baqua. You will catch on quickly and don't worry, the test kits are easy to use!! I enjoy knowing exactly what my water levels are within a couple of minutes and not having to rely on a pool store to give me "accurate" results.

Welcome aboard!

Momo2es said:

Yes, no, and maybe. :-D

The core of the BBB method is knowledge. Knowing how to measure your water chemistry and what to do with the results. Knowing in advance what effect any chemical you add to your pool will have. Knowing how to address a problem if one arises.

At the heart of pool water chemistry is the relationship between CYA (cyanuric acid; aka stabilizer or conditioner) and Chlorine (pucks, powder, liquid). The level of Chlorine that needs to be maintained in your pool is dependent upon the level of CYA present in the water. As CYA increases, so should the level of Chlorine. The recommended levels of CYA and Chlorine can be found in the Chlorine/CYA chart linked in my signature.

Once you understand that relationship you "can" continue to regularly use pucks in a chlorinator, but doing so will have definite ramifications. Read frequent water draining to reduce the excessive levels of CYA. Too much CYA often leads to your pool becoming an unmanageable green swamp. Keep it in the recommended range of 30-50, along with the proper level of Chlorine, and you'll be okay.

Most people here like to "keep it simple" so frequent draining to remove excess CYA is avoided by adding non-stabilized sources of chlorine. Read Bleach (5.25% to 8.25%) found just about everywhere or Liquid Chlorine (10% to 12.5%) found mostly at pool supply stores (Same chemical, different concentrations). CYA, when its needed due to splash out or draining rain water, etc., is added seperately. Pucks can still be used when you're away from the pool for several days knowing you may have to drain some water when you get back to remove any excess CYA.

Momo2es said:

Ideally, any time your Free Chlorine level drops below the minimum recommended level for your CYA level. In practice however most people dose once a day, some less often after getting to know their pool and its chemical demands. The exception would be if you've developed a problem and need to SLAM (Shock Level & Maintain) your pool. During a SLAM you may dose once every hour until your chlorine demand drops.

Momo2es said:

The amount is entirely dependent upon the volume of your pool as well as the level of Free Chlorine you're maintaining and how much is burned off during the day from sunlight, bather load, etc. The Pool Calculator (also linked in my sig) is an essential tool in determining proper dosages.

Momo2es said:

Yes. You'll find automatic chlorination discussed extensively in this section of the forum...

http://www.troublefreepool.com/chemical-automation-and-the-liquidator-f81.html

Momo2es said:

Muriatic acid is most often used to lower the PH in your pool. It can be found in at least a couple of different strengths in most hardware, big box, and pool supply stores.

Ok, here goes another take on those questions:

You can perhaps use your chlorinator some of the time, for example when you go on vacation, or perhaps for part of the swim season until your CYA level gets up to its desired point. How much will depend on how much water replacement you have as well as your chlorine demand, etc. The key here is testing and only adding what your pool needs, as well as understanding the effects that chemicals have on your pool. You have not included your location or the details about your pool see pool-school/read_before_you_post so it is hard to tell if you live in a place that measures rainfall in feet or inches per year... As to how much bleach you will need this depends on factors like the size of your pool, amount of sun exposure, etc so again hard to say other than for most people it ranges between less than a quart per day to perhaps a couple of gallons. As the automatic addition of bleach, there are options, from somewhat passive drip like systems and "the liquidator" to various type of chlorine injection pumps, the best type are probably Stenner pumps, there are many threads about them in the above mentioned section. Personally I switched to using an injection pump a couple of years ago and can't imagine going back, although you should be aware that since bleach / liquid chlorine is a fairly harsh chemical that the pumps used with it tend to need a certain level of maintenance, with the stenner pumps this is mainly replacing the pump tubes every so often, with metering injection pumps like mine it means replacing the seals and the diaphragm about once per year. As to Muriatic acid you can generally find it in any hardware store, often it will be in the same area with paint stripper, etc. Some pools need more acid than others, some don't need any, it all depends on how your pH drifts, you will learn in time what yours needs, so again it is not an exact answer, but I will say some people may go through gallons per week, others gallons per year, yet others never need in and in fact need to raise pH not lower it.

Ike

Thanks, everyone. I have been doing a lot of reading and understand the relationship of the chemicals much better. I haven't had the money to order the test kit yet (kids and expensive school sports) but will be very soon. I had my water tested last week and my cyanuric acid tested at 100! I understand better what I need to do.. (altho my husband is not totally on board yet w/ all this... and our swim season is about over).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.