How do I winterize my main drain?

Sep 2, 2013
I am hoping there is help out there. I have a main drain plumbed into my skimmer and I need to winterize it. We have tried blowing air into the hole in the bottom of the skimmer feeding the main drain but nothing happens. We have also tried sucking the water out of this pipe but it fills back up. Because we live in a cold climate that can see -20 in the winter, we want to ensure this line is air-locked but we don't know how. Any help out there?

Are you saying that when you blow air into the MD line that it doesn't come out the grate in the pool?
What are you using to try to blow out the line?

You should be able to rig up something with a valve on it that you can stick in the port and then when you blow it you can close the valve and it will air lock it. Maybe a winterizing plug with a schraeder valve on it.

Yes, we are blowing air into the MD line with a 5hp shop vac. My hubby wondered if there could possibly be a one way valve on the line preventing back flow into the pool? We know its not clogged cause water is coming up the line into the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.