Impeller Bolt Keeps Coming Off

May 13, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
I posted last week about the problem I had with the cap going out. And here I am, a week later, SAME problem.

It appears that the impeller bolt keeps coming off, which then causes the motor to seize, and the cap to fry. I can't be replacing the cap weekly.

My pool guy said I should use red locktite, but isn't this stuff so permanent, that I will never be able to get the bolt off again? That won't work, if so.

Does the impeller bolt lose threading? Should I replace the impeller bolt?

Thoughts?

I'm assuming that you mean the reverse threaded Impeller Locking Screw. If it does not go in tightly when installed, then the threads might be stripped. If the impeller is coming off, then the impeller might be turning backwards, perhaps due to air in the filter pushing water back into the pump when the pump is turned off.

It's also possible, but unlikely, that the motor is turning backwards for some reason other than air in the filter.

JamesW said:
I'm assuming that you mean the reverse threaded Impeller Locking Screw. If it does not go in tightly when installed, then the threads might be stripped. If the impeller is coming off, then the impeller might be turning backwards, perhaps due to air in the filter pushing water back into the pump when the pump is turned off.

It's also possible, but unlikely, that the motor is turning backwards for some reason other than air in the filter.

Yes, I mean the reverse threaded impeller screw. No, the impeller is not coming off. Just the screw pops off, which then toasts the cap.

Can I find a replacement screw at the hardware store? Or, does it need to be a particular motor replacement part?

What do you think about using the locktite on it, as recommended by the pool guy?

It's a reverse screw, so it has to be that specific screw. Loctite would probably help, but the screw should not be coming out unless there was some sort of problem.

I have left out the screw without problems. Many impellers don't use the screw, anyway.

I'm not sure why the screw keeps coming out, or why the capacitor would be affected. When you replaced the capacitor, did you make sure that the new one matched exactly?

Can you verify that the motor is rotating the correct way? It's unusual, but I have seen motors run in reverse which can cause the impeller to come off.

Have you verified that the wiring and voltage are correct?

JamesW said:
It's a reverse screw, so it has to be that specific screw. Loctite would probably help, but the screw should not be coming out unless there was some sort of problem.

I have left out the screw without problems. Many impellers don't use the screw, anyway.

I'm not sure why the screw keeps coming out, or why the capacitor would be affected. When you replaced the capacitor, did you make sure that the new one matched exactly?

Can you verify that the motor is rotating the correct way? It's unusual, but I have seen motors run in reverse which can cause the impeller to come off.

Have you verified that the wiring and voltage are correct?

Well, I kind of agree, as the screw doesn't seem to serve a purpose. The impeller is so tight anyhow. So, maybe I will just take it off.

It's affecting the cap, because when the screw comes off, it as it then jumps around loose, and then causes the motor to seize and stop spinning. The motor is still getting power, however, so the cap sizzles, because it's taking the load, and can't turn the motor.

The problem isn't the cap or the wiring, and the motor is not turning the wrong way, and the impeller isn't coming off.

From what you're saying, though, I suspect the impeller screw has lost some threading, and even though it seems to me like it's tightly screwed in, it's clearly coming loose after a few days of running.

So, either locktite, or remove the screw entirely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.