Do I have any ground to stand on?

May 29, 2013
Swisher, Iowa
I had an aboveground pool installed last year. As soon as the pool was installed I notice there was a leak somewhere in the pool because the ground under it was getting soaked and the levels were going down slowly. Told the pool guy who installed it right away and he said he would come out to find the hole and patch it. I said NO WAY you need to replace that liner since it was not even a week old and nobody has swam in it. He reluctantly agreed and said well just deal with it through the summer and they will come out this spring and replace the liner. He did that and the pool stopped leaking. In our pool we have an Aqua aluminator light and it worked fine last summer but after they put in the put in the new liner the pool light did not work. I called my pool guy several times and asked them to come out and check out the light to see why it was not working. After most of the summer had gone by I stopped calling and figured the heck with it, I will just deal with it next season. So one day I am checking my mail and I get an invoice for $223 dollars for replacement of the bulb and labor of 85 dollars. I was kinda shocked because I work from home and never seen anyone other there, plus I had no idea that the light was fixed. I was then angry that they didnt not consult me and ask if I wanted to spend 130+ dollars for a replacement for the light and the labor (I found a bulb for 55 dollars on google after the fact) I am very sure I would have passed on fixing this light since was almost labor day and we will be shutting the pool up soon. How can a pool guy just fix something like that and bill someone without consulting me. I kinda felt he did it because he had to replace my liner. Do I have any ground to fight this our should I just eat the bill and never use this guy for anything again?

I should clear it up that the light worked the last time we swam in the pool the season before and went through the winter so it very well could have broken in the winter since he did not remove it when he winterized the pool. he just lowered the water below it and the skimmer.

In the billing it says 128 dollars for bulb replacement, does not really break down if it was the whole assembly or just the bulb. I found this as a bulb replacement so i figured he should not have charged me over a hundred dollars for a bulb When you can buy them for under 50 bucks.
http://www.swimnsaveusa.com/22782691000 ... MgodSyAA5w

Thanks for the kind words about my service but honestly it was my honor to do it. I loved the Navy and miss it after I retired. Would go back in a heartbeat if called.

As for my pool guy. I just think he was shady about just installing it without at least giving me a call and saying hey it will cost you X amount of dollars to replace the broken bulb. And then he didnt even tell me it was fixed so I would not have ever know or checked it and it would have just sat there fixed without us knowing. Not until the bill came.

Oh Well I guess I needed to get it fixed anyways so the kids can swim at night but I will definately do the next repair job myself.

"As for my pool guy. I just think he was shady about just installing it without at least giving me a call and saying hey it will cost you X amount of dollars to replace the broken bulb. And then he didnt even tell me it was fixed so I would not have ever know or checked it and it would have just sat there fixed without us knowing. Not until the bill came.
"

It absolutely is shady....

shady enough to warrant ignoring this piece of mail for a while.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.