need help desperately with filter

Sep 2, 2013
I have a cartridge filter, 30000 gallon pool. The dirty water just bypasses the filter, goes straight back into the pool. We bought a new cartridge told that was the issue but wasn't. Can't find any broken seals or anything. Besides buying a new filter what can I try? Thanks..

Hi, welcome to TFP! I have a few questions for you. Is this happening when you vacuum the pool, or whenever you run the pump? How does the pool look? Is it clear? What are you using to chlorinate the pool?

It happens both either vacumn or run with out the creepy crawley. It happens no matter if I have the drain on or off. The pool is very cloudy, can't see the drain. We keep throwing gallons of clarifier in but doent help much. We have weekly pool service and the chemicals are fine. We just cleaned the filter again it wasn't really dirty. This is a new issue as lived her ten years and same filter...thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it

It sounds like you have two issues going on. One with the filter possibly having a defective valve, and your cloudy water. If the chemicals were correct then your water would be clear. If you can post a complete set of test results we can help you determine if the chemistry is contributing to the problem.

Edit: If you can post some pictures of your pool equipment we can help you identify the valves.

I Googler that and don't have one of those...only valve out there is a valve that's turns left or right to turn drain or off. Some how I think that can be an issue....what should I have on.? Both drain and skimmer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the filter make and model number?

How is the fit of the filter in the canister? I know you just replaced the cart, but is it fitting in there properly?

You really should buy the TF-100 or K-2006 from http://tftestkits.net/ The kits available local to you won't give you all the info you need, nor are they accurate enough.

I have wondered if it is the replacement cartridge...I bought the same one from leslies twice...didn't have this issue three carts ago....the filter is a posi flo 100 txr....to small I know but just cant afford a bigger one right now.....broke teacher here...

I just searched for your filter, a Sta-Rite posi-flo.

Original equipment cartridge calls for WC 108-58S2X. Correct? Should be 8-11/16 OD, 25-11/16 tall. The openings should be 4-11/16 ID, and the top should have 12 concentric slots.

Unicel listing is UHD SR100.

Did Leslies match up the new to the old? I assume house brand on the replacement.

I know it could be a pain in the behind to remove the cart. If you do, check the dimensions as listed from Sta-Rite. If the top or bottom openings are even the slightest too large, pool water will bypass. The filter should fit very snug on the mount points, where it needs just a little force to install.

We measured, we are 25 1/2 tall and 8 1/2 ...could that little difference make a difference? And should the concentric slots be at the top or bottom of the filter when installed? We have 12 of those...do u think because we bought at Leslie's it is cheap? Thanks again....

The concentric slots should be at the top. i don't think the 3/16" OD is a problem, nor should the height. What would matter is if the holes in the top and bottom are even 1/8" too large.

For quality, I don't know. Sta-rite specifies 4 oz fabric for theirs. You an tell the difference by placing a dark object behind the pleats. If you can see it clearly, it is likely 2 oz or 3 oz, which will let a lot of fine debris through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.