Is this algae? Recuring problem

G

Split from Is this algae numbers don't seem to support there being any?
Hi,

I'm new to the TFP community. I am in the 3rd yr of above ground pool ownership. (We never had problems the 1st two yrs) I, too, like jessosby above, keep seeing stuff in the ridges. I dove down and tried to touch it and it dissolved in my fingers... I thought it was sand but there is no grit.. nothing to hold onto.

We have been battling algae(?) off and on all summer. Whatever is happening seems to be very cyclical. The water gets cloudy for a couple days, turns greenish, we shock it, vacuum and then use clarifier. The pool becomes clear again for about a week only to repeat all over again.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Yes it probably is dead algae settling on the floor of the pool. You need to do the slam process on your pool, but first we need a complete set of test numbers to help you get started. If you don't have your own test kit, one of the best investments you can make in your pool is a high quality FAS/DPD test kit such as the Taylor K2006 or the TF 100. The test kit will enable you to do your own testing and will test FC values > than 5ppm, which you will need during the slam process.

What have you been using to chlorinate the pool?

We have been buying the powder shock from the pool store. I believe it is 99% active ingredient (trich...something).

I have been reading the BBB section... So I can just buy simple bleach from the store?? Wow.

We use test strips so I cant provide any numbers yet. I will look into buying the test you recommend. But I can tell you that when we take water to the pool store.. last time he said our chemicals were right in line... it was just a problem w/ algae.

BTW... I haven't figured the signature stuff out yet but:
24ft round above ground pool.. w/ sand filter.
Cincinnati OH (and summer has been a cooler summer w/ less swimming overall compared to last yr)
ThX!

Unfortunately clerks in the store are trained to sell products, not to analyze test results. Our version of "good numbers" is different from what most pool stores call good. We look at the chlorine/CYA ratio to determine how high your target FC should be. When the CYA gets too high, you have to raise the FC level to compensate in order to keep algae away. Algae will not grow in a properly chlorinated pool. When the chlorine / CYA ratio is correct you will not have algae and it won't matter how high your phosphate levels are.

Since you have been using trichlor, odds are that your CYA is too high. We recommend keeping the CYA between 30-50ppm for a manually chlorinated pool. Be sure you read Pool School especially the ABCs of pool water chemistry for more information on the chlorine/CYA relationship.

Actually, on the test strips, it shows the CYA is on the low side..when I have asked the pool guy, he says we don't need to worry about the stabilizer numbers yet.

Pretty soon, it will be time to decide between pool store advice and the advice we give. They won't be the same at all and you will be caught in the middle not knowing what to do (kinda' like you are now).

Keep reading on here. There are thousands of pool owners who have taken over the management of their own pools and said goodbye to the pool store forever.......almost always at significantly less cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.