Question regarding PVC size when hard plumbing

Taterfink

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2012
NE Florida
I have read about the use of 2' vs 2.5" PVC when hard plumbing pumps and filters. I don't understand how I get to choose. Wouldn't I need to use what ever size is dictated by the ports on the equipment?

I know I used adapters on the SandPro to connect to the intex plunger valves. But we're only talking like a .25" difference.

If the pump and filter have 1.5" ports, how would it benefit me to go to 2" or 2.5" piping. I'm picturing bottlenecking / higher pressure at one end and low pressure on the other.

Kind of like a highway going from 2 lanes to 4 , pressure drops. Then abruptly returns to 2 lanes, pressure builds. Then finally releases into 4 lanes, lower pressure again, then thru the final 2 lane restrictive gate (this would be the return), higher pressure. Am I anywhere near correct? Is it that final push thru the return (causing better circulation) that we like?

In layman's terms please. I'm no plumber. :)

Bottlenecking is not ideal, but keeping as much of the plumbing large will reduce a lot of the head loss in the pipes due to lower flow velocity. With that said, if you are not already planning on it, I would replace those intex plunger valves since they are very restrictive (and tend to break easily).

Already bypassed one plunger valve when I installed the skimmer. I have the return eye that came with the skimmer and plan to replace the return plunger with it.

So, should I go as large as 2.5" ? Or stick with 2". Keeping in mind that if I come across a 3/4 hp 2 SP pump I'm going to trade out the 1.5 hp. If this matters.

As water flows through the pipe it constantly loses pressure. If there is a bottle neck in the line the pressure drops more through the bottle neck but does not gain any pressure after passing through the bottle neck. The difference between 2" and 2.5" will be minimal due to short length of pipe and low flows.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.