Newbie with a question before dig begins

Hi there, this is my first post but I have been following TFP for a few years. You guys are amazing!!

We are planning a 18x36 rectangle vinyl 3'5" shallow end with a 6 deep end, full width vinyl covered steps, 4 deck jets, 2 skimmers, 5 returns, a pair of main drains, and 2 LED colored lights, 2" plumbing. Our PB is suggesting a 48 sq ft Jandy DE filter, ( big enough??) Jandy 1 hp pump, SWCG and full Jandy automation. He is also planning on using "slide values" vs Multi port valves?? Does this sound ok. We have been reading about the different valves and are still unsure. Hoping to start our dig in 3 weeks. We are in Southeast Virginia, Hampton Roads area. Thanks for any and all input!

:-D
Summer

Welcome to tfp, Sumrsplash :wave:

We would recommend a minimum 64 sq. ft. DE filter for your 23000 gallon pool (estimated).

As for a pump, I would consider at least a 2-speed. A 1 hp may not do much for the deck jets unless you only run a couple at a time.

My opinion is go with a multiport since it gives you more settings...but not necessary. Another option is no valve...just plumb it like a cartridge filter and open it up to clean it...which should not be often if you go at least as big as the recommended size mentioned above (and follow tfp chemistry recommendations to avoid an algae outbreak). Even backwashable DE filters should be opened and cleaned occasionally.

Thanks for the welcome Linen!! :wave:

Thanks also for the reply! We will be calling our PB and will ask to upgrade both the filter and the valve. (I did insist on a 2 speed pump very early on in the discussions) Now, back to Pool School for more reading!!

Thanks a bunch :-D
Summer

I would consider a multi-port as almost a necessity. Without it, you cannot backwash, vacuum to waste or recirculate. For the cheap ($200 or so) cost of a multi-port I would never encourage anyone not to have one.

duraleigh said:
I would consider a multi-port as almost a necessity. Without it, you cannot backwash, vacuum to waste or recirculate. For the cheap ($200 or so) cost of a multi-port I would never encourage anyone not to have one.
duraleigh is giving wise advice...I too would want a multiport...regardless of what I said above :oops:

You should consider a variable speed pump. It will give you greater flexibility and expandability if you want to add a return side cleaner or solar. Your utility may give you a rebate to reduce the cost. Well maintained pumps last a long time and electric rates will most likely go up.

What they all said, but I would add one more question, why a 6 ft deep end? It is too deep to stand in (unless your a professional basketball player), and marginally too shallow to safely dive into even from the edge. I can understand a 5 ft or an 8 ft deep end, just not sure about the logic of a 6 ft.

Ike

Thanks again everyone for the advise. This site is truly amazing.

@Ike, we decided to not do a true 'deep-end' because it's just my husband and I and our 15 year old daughter who will primarily be using the pool. (Our other adult children will use it for relaxing as well on weekends when they are in town). My husband, who is 6' wanted some area for treading and I wanted some depth for 'jumping-in' and 5ft just didn't seem deep enough. BUT, we are always open to other opinions regarding depth. This is our first pool and we are really new to all this.

Thanks again :)
Summer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.