Tackling the Green Monster

Jul 29, 2013
Neosho, MO
We just closed on our new house on Friday, and I began following the TFP site a few weeks ago when I new we would be getting a very green pool with the purchase. My Taylor K-2006 arrived on Friday night so Saturday (Aug 31st) was the day I decided to tackle the "Green Monster". On Saturday morning I tested the pool and these were my results.

FC = 0
CC = 0
pH = 8
TA = 130
CH = 120
CYA = 0 (I tested this twice to be sure)

After reading the Pool School articles I decided a SLAM was in order but wanted to lower the pH first. Using the Pool Calculator App for my phone, I added 80 oz. of HCL which should have lowered the pH to about 7.2 for my 23,000 gal pool.

After letting the acid mix for about an hour I wanted to raise the CYA to about 40 but they only had 3 lbs of Stabilizer at the store so I put it in a pool sock and let it dissolve in front of the return line. Based on the Calculator this should have raised my CYA to 20.

I waited another hour and began my slam.

8/31@ 11:30 AM Added 484 oz of Bleach (8.25%)
@1:00 PM FC = 15.5 CC = .5 | Brushed Entire Pool
@3:00 PM FC = 15.0 CC = 1 | Brushed Entire Pool
@7:34 PM FC = 14.0 CC = .5 | Brushed Entire Pool
@9:20 PM FC = 13.0 CC = 1.5 | Brushed Entire Pool
@11:30 PM FC = 12.0 CC = 1 | Brushed Entire Pool & Added 96 oz Bleach

9/1 @ 8:45AM FC = 15.0 CC=.5 | Pool is still VERY GREEN Brushed Entire Pool
@1:00 PM FC = 13.0 CC = 0 | Brushed entire Pool and Backwashed filter.

Am I doing this right? The pool calculator says Shock level for my pool is around 11 but I can't seem to get the pool to come down any in FC. I added the Bleach last night because I was afraid it may drop over night but when I got up this morning it was still at 15. Shouldn't my CC be going up? I have had my pool pump running the whole time. The water level also seems a bit low. Am I ok to add some city water to the pool during my SLAM?

Suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!

For reasons not understood (at least by me) some green pools don't burn through the chlorine very fast while others gobble it up. I have no explanation or anything different to try. You are doing everything correctly.

Since your FC seems to be diminishing slowly, I see no reason to test as frequently. Probably 3 times daily is perfectly adequate in your case.

It is just fine to add fill water to your pool....you don't want it to get too low.

Have you seen ANY change in the color? If not, let us know what it looks like tomorrow AM

Backwash only when your psi goes up by 25%.

Ok great! New question, As gross as it was my wife was worried about out kids getting stuck to the main drain so I swam to the bottom to feel the suction pressure. I put my hand over the main drain with the pump on and feel no flow. Does that mean the main drain is clogged? Should I try something else?

I was very disappointed in the lack of suction with my main drain. Even when I have the valve set to the main drain only it does not pull much at all.

I had such high hopes I would not have to do much vacuuming with the main drain. No such luck! LOL

Kim

Suggestions:

I don't think you really need to waste reagents testing your CC. It's a good test to tell IF you need to slam, but your water is green and you already know you need to slam. I personally cannot recall any reason to test CC's during a SLAM, not until getting close to or doing the OCLT.

Testing less often since it's losing chlorine slowly will save you reagents, also you could use a 5ML water sample where each drop is 1PPM. This could be helpful if you have a long SLAM ahead of you.It does have a margin of error so dose your chlorine slightly higher than shock value. This is most use full during the SLAM process and cannot be used for the OCLT.

Are you at least getting get flow from the returns?

I assume your plumbing has valves, could you have a closed valve that's controlling the floor drain?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try the 5ml method. The pool did look substantially cleaner tonight.

As far as valves; I dont have any valves on the supply side of the pump so I can only conclude that the Skimmer and Main Drain Are piped together somewhere underground. After the filter I have two valves. One controls what I would call the main return by the stairs. It has the moveable "eye" on it. The other valve goes to six small (1/2") returns that are spread evenly throughout the pool. That valve was shut when I bought the house and when I opened it black sulfer smelling stuff came out of the returns. I had it open yesterday to help flush out the lines but then closed the valve today because it seems like the pool water gets more movement toward the skimmer if I only have the one moveable "main" return line open. I checked the main drain and feel no difference whether both or only one of these valves are open. I have not tried opening Only the small returns to see what effect it make have but I might try that tomorrow. Has any one seen a setup like I have described before?

Back to your original post....
The pool did look substantially cleaner tonight.
Then just keep doing what you are doing.

I would suggest getting your water clear first and then addressing your other issues. The thread gets hard to follow for responders when you are discussing three different subjects.

Ok great. Sorry for the confusion. I am new to pools AND forums. On a brighter note the pool is changing from a deep green to a "lightish" brown color. It does seem like I have to backwash my sand filter a lot though. My filter after backwashing is 20 psi and I backwash at 25 psi which has now been 2 night in a row.

The need to backwash means your sand filter is doing its job in capturing the dead algae. Once the water clears, you'll be able to gradually go longer.

Good work; keep going!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well 2 weeks, 26 gallons of 8.25% bleach, a taylor test kit, and a 5.99 pool calc app later, my pool is crystal clear and I couldn't be happer. I passed my OCLT last night and am excited about last last few weeks of pool season we have left. I still need to replace the skimmer cover and fix the pool light but at least the pool is clean!

Before
ede5a9u7.jpg

After
u8uvytab.jpg

Thanks TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.