Newbe with SwimSpa

Sep 1, 2013
Just found this site this morning and have skimmed all over it... Lots of great stuff. I'm sure the answers are all here somewhere but I have a quick question... I am TOTALLY new to pool ownership!

This is my situation:
I recently installed a used SwimEx EX-400 in the back yard and am finally ready to "fill-er up". This has a full width paddle wheel to generate the water flow and all that is working great. There is a false floor in the spa to let the water circulate and I am able to see a slight bit of alge or mold or something green under there. The pool never really drained all the way and I suspect some rain water sat in there a while... however it has been 6 months sitting dry. I hosed and scrubbed all I could and it looks clean now.

I would like to fill it up over this weekend to test for leaks and such but have NO idea about what to do with the chemicals.
I am thinking about just filling it and testing the pump, heater, paddlewheel etc and if all is good add chemicals ... but am also considering some sort of partial fill with bleach to make sure it is clean under the floor.

FYI...
Fiberglass Pool is 12' long X 7' wide X 5' deep ... 3000 gallons. Has a Pentair CCP 320 filter and a Coates 1100KW heater.
1/2hp filter motor. Will get that all in my Sig. later.

Also wondering what you guys recommend for swimming Dogs in here? A friend says saltwater is better for them ... Would I need to change out any equipment to use salt other than adding the generator? Part of the reason for installing this pool is conditioning for my Agility Dogs ... and me of course!

So .. What should I do? A partial "Shock" to clean under the floor or just go for the fill to test things? How much water and bleach should I use to shock it?

BTW... I have the K-2006 test kit on the way..

Thanks in advance!
Bruce in Santa Barbara

If you're filling with public chlorinated water just add about 2 ppm FC with bleach as you're filling it. Once you get get it full enough to run the pump and flow device, add about 10 ppm FC using bleach. Then once you get the good test kit run a good set of test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.