Metal Stain in Bottom of Pool Vinyl Liner

bjsbuds

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 16, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
Last year we had a new beautiful liner installed. We received so many compliments, even from the installer who had not seen the liner before. This spring, we had a replacement Raypak 2100 propane digital heater installed. Shortly after the pool was opened, a large stain formed on the bottom. We took a water sample to the pool store and they said there was metal in the water and gave us Pool Stain Treat to remove it. It did, but not long after it reappeared. We were given Pool Stain Treat again, but this time with Metal Free to use the day after. If did lighten the stain considerably, but did not remove it. We went back again, and were give the same products, which is doing nothing. Now we are seeing all kinds of stains forming in the pool.

If there anything we can do to solve this?

put the pool stain treat in a panty hose and leave it to sit on top of the stain. this will help concentrate the chemical. You can also do this with asorbic acid.

Keep in mind though that there is still metal in the water. To actually remove the metal from the water you want to use CU Lator. that traps the metals and you dispose of the bag with the metals trapped in it.

Still looking for help. I decided to try Leslie's for a different alternative to test my water. They too said I had metal in the water and sold me their brand of stain remover and then Metal Free. $80 later. They told me to put the stain remover directly on the stain and then one hour later put it the Metal Free. I put the stain remover in panty hose and sat directly on the largest of the stains.

Excited to see what happened overnight. Well, the stain is still there, but it did lighten a little. I got my TFP test kit out tonight and the PH was a little low, but not a lot, the CYA is out of control, Magnesium is also registering high.

I am just not sure what to do, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

If it did lighten just keep repeating the process. If the stain doesn't lighten anymore I think you might have to live with it or possible just patch over the stain with the same print of your pool (assuming your liner is new)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.