TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The bulb blew in my light last fall, and I just got around to changing it. For those not familiar with this light, it is a nicheless light. It mounts on the surface of the pool wall, and uses a small stick-type halogen bulb like the portable work lights. It has two spring-loaded contacts which you depress to install or remove the bulb.

Here's where it gets ugly :( The hard potting material that they used to seal all of the connections in the light leaked through the housing and got behind one of the contacts. It is glued in place by a very hard plastic, making it physically impossible to change the bulb. :x I had to break the old bulb to get it out to see what was wrong. This is something that should have been noticed at the factory, but I'll bet they install the bulb and seal the lamp before the potting cures.

I emailed Pentair last night telling them what was wrong and also sent along a picture. I told them that this was a manufacturing defect that I could not have known about until I tried to change the bulb, and that even though the warranty had expired I feel I'm entitled to a new light since I have to replace the whole thing now because of a bad bulb.

We'll see what they think (and more importantly what they do) about the matter.

I had a similar problem with mine. Can you post the picture? I'd like to see if it's the same type of thing.
I know only one contact is working as spring loaded on mine. I used a screwdriver to pry the old lamp out and it broke in the process.
I did manage to get another bulb in though, but every time I had to replace it was a teeth gritting task.
Is yours low voltage?

Mine is a 120V model. The picture is posted to my Photobucket page, but I can't get to it here to give you the link. I'll try to post it later.

As of today, no response from Pentair other than the automated reply that I should be hearing something "in a few days" on the 18th of June. Quality customer service. :rant: Not!

My pentair light leaks also! I have a Amerquartz 500w light and it leaks thru the back, I can see bubbles coming thru it conduit. I called customer service only to get hung up on, whats up with that. Called back and insisted on a phone number for a warranty visit, called that number and left a message with a person - no call back yet (2 days). I have second thoughts on all my PENTAIR equip. just from one phone call.

Bought some new bulbs $8, and a epoxy for the pool. Installed the epoxy last night. Going to get a new gasket today and will wrap the glass with a little teflon tape around the edge.

In additon my pool builder left me just enought slack in the electical wire to get it out of the water only, it is to short to lay the light on the deck :grrrr: to work on. I used a dry float to keep the unit out of the water while working on it. There is even 10' of the wire left over from the pool light install, they could have easily left me with a little more wire to help me replace the bulb.

I also have an Aqualumin II problem. When I went to change the bulb last summer, there was quite a bit of corrosion. It seems like water got in somehow. Needless to say, this light no longer works even with a new bulb. I want to replace this. Anyone know if this is a DIY job. Is the aqualumin III a better product? I have the 120v 250w model.

jcarroca said:
At least a few years.

Although I agree that being able to replace the bulb should be part of the serviceability of the unit, based upon cost, I'd say you will not get much help from Pentair. They are a wonderful company, but one of the reasons so many manufacturers in our industry have shortened their warranties (remember the 10-year tank warranty of TR's and TA's?), is because there are so many variables in determining a manufacturers' defect over a long period of time. In the first year or two, it's easy. After that, who is to judge what events, weather or pool chemistry causes equipment to fail?

Sorry I can't be more encouraging. :|

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wanted to update this and add that Pentair never even responded to my email, even though I had gotten an automated response indicating they had received my email. Nice customer service. You can bet I'll open the unit up and look at it before I install a replacement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.