Why are swimming pool pumps less efficient than pond pumps?

Aug 31, 2013
At least for low flow (I have to limit my pool flow to 36 gpm due to CA regulations for a 12,000 gal pool), it seems that pond pumps can be much more efficient than pool pumps; does anyone know why?

An example: At 10 head, 35 gpm, an Intelliflo draws 200W. An "Elite 800 Platinum" pond pump draws less than 147W (it draws 147W @ 42 gpm at this head; I don't see a chart of how much less it would draw at 35 gpm).

I know I can't use a pond pump (CA requires only approved pumps be installed); I was just wondering about this difference…

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Why are swimming pool pumps less efficient than pond pum

Shere in CA are you that requires restricted flow? Unless it is a commercial pool in an apartment complex. Some things to consider on a pond pump might be the difference on the diffuser and the impeller, maybe the allow a larger amount of water through. Another though I had was about the motor, it might just be a bit more efficient. It is a good thing it pulls less energy as people tend to leave those things on 24/7.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.