One of those days...

Kias

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 31, 2009
NW Ohio
Have ya ever been drivin' along, just minding your own business, when all of a sudden you get this thought that you're going to die in one second?

Yeah, me too.

This time I decided I better get a photo to show the investigators that it wasn't my fault. I was well below the speed limit, and in my own lane.

pool164.jpg

...and then my daughter, who's away at college, was completely and totally freaking out.

I posted this on facebook. "I found this photo on my camera after I died."

I had to actually call her and tell her I wasn't really dead.

Sometimes I don't think all the synapses are firing in that 4.0 GPA brain of hers. :hammer:

That's what I tell her.

She graduated HS with a 3.98. You'da thunk the world was ending. She's now working on her second and third bachelors degree concurrently. (See what I mean about those synapses?) Luckily, it's been 4.0 since, cause if she freaks out again, I'm just telling her "This is not my department, go find your mother". LOL

Dave,
Photographer's workflow: Photo first, then evasive maneuvers. ALWAYS!

Charlie,
Why'd you let the cat out of the bag? LOL

Miss Butterfly,
Never worry about a photoshop'd picture from me. I don't even own it. Though I do a lot of camera trickery. Old school, like they did before photoshop. You actually have to work at it! <Gasp!>

Like this old trick! I do believe some guy named Ansel Adams made this photographic trickery famous. :shock:
pool165.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry to pop your bubble. He was an ok photographer, but a master in the darkroom. This is where photos are born.

He was the "Father of High Dynamic Range" photography using the 'Zone System' he created with Fred Archer.

William Turnage describes Adams this way: "He manipulated the work tremendously in the darkroom. He always said that the negative is the equivalent of the composer's score and the print is the equivalent of the conductor's performance, and the same piece of Mozart is conducted differently, performed differently, by different orchestras, different conductors, and Ansel performed his own negatives differently."

Of course now we use Adobe Lightroom (and others) to do our darkroom trickery, but we leave the lights on.

[youtube:ihrgayzo]WCpZu6Y82XQ[/youtube:ihrgayzo]

Sorry guys, didn't mean to spoil anything, but that's how it is! The real photos are done in the darkroom. (AKA: Post Processing)

Sometimes things pop out at you fast, and you don't have time to change settings. Just shoot and hope you can fix it in Post.
pool166.jpg

Sometimes, you just screw up the shot and hope you can fix it in Post.
pool167.jpg

...and sometimes you take a photo knowing full well you're going to get creative in Post.
pool168.jpg

I was taking classes in B&W at the morale support activities branch while I was in Germany, and darkroom work was an integral part of the coursework.

You didn't burst too big a bubble for me about Ansel Adams, just a small one. I knew he had to be doing some of that, just didn't realize it was that extensive. I still consider him to be one of the all time greats.

My first decent camera was a Yashica FX-D, not a bad starter camera.

I know, a lot of what you've seen here I didn't take much time to compose the shots etc, but I do still have that in mind when it matters.

Did some portrature work for Olin Mills for a while, got tired of that real quick. Always the same thing, just different faces. With them, you have to follow a set formula for poses, angles etc, no leeway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.