SWG and very little chlorine

Jul 1, 2013
Tampa,Florida
So I've had my pool for about 3 months now and the last month or so I have very little chlorine at the end of the day. Pool is in sun all day. Pump runs from 9am to 8pm with SWG at 55 percent. This setting had worked great for about a month or so. I have the Tf 100. Results are
FC 0
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 110
CH 400
CYA 70
Salt 3100 via pool pilot and pool store

I have a dark finish so I can't see anything on the walls and the water is clear, just no chlorine. I have added liquid chlorine occasionally to help. Pulled apart salt cell and it is clean. Even called pool pilot and discussed the volts and amps to the cell which they said was fine. They asked me about phosphates which I had the pool store check and it was at 3000 which is high. I have since lowered to about 300. Just started to slam overnight with chlorinator off. When I went to sleep around 11pm my FC was 20 and cc was 0. When I woke up and checked around 630 FC was 12 and cc was .5.
So something must be in the water correct? What about cc only being .5. I continued to slam and overnight it dropped only 3 points. Am I doing this correct. Almost wish I didn't have the salt cell but the chlorinator that you add the pucks to at the pump.

Welcome to tfp, titanium10k :wave:

The nano is rated for 22000 gallons over a 24 hour period. You are only running it for 11 hours at 55%, so in theory it will only chlorinate a 5500 gallon pool. I would guess you need to run it closer to 12 hours at 100%.

That's not to say you don't have something in your water though. I would manually chlorinate with bleach/liquid chlorine to bring your FC up to at least 8 ppm, then do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) with the swg off but the pump running. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test

linen said:
Welcome to tfp, titanium10k :wave:

The nano is rated for 22000 gallons over a 24 hour period. You are only running it for 11 hours at 55%, so in theory it will only chlorinate a 5500 gallon pool. I would guess you need to run it closer to 12 hours at 100%.

That's not to say you don't have something in your water though. I would manually chlorinate with bleach/liquid chlorine to bring your FC up to at least 8 ppm, then do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) with the swg off but the pump running. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/overnight_fc_test

I did the test at 20 and it dropped to 12 the next morning. Once I am complete I will play with the percentage more. Seems crazy it would need to be at 100 percent though.

Thanks for the help.

titanium10k said:
Seems crazy it would need to be at 100 percent though.
Not crazy if you look at the specs. With that said, you have a significant organic issue in your pool...it is possible when you clean that up that you can run you swg less than I postulated above. Once you are done with the SLAM process, I would look at running your swg closer to 100% and minimize your pump run time. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pump_run_time

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.