Pool sweep suggestion

Aug 31, 2013
I am having a new pool installed (roughly 35x9' rectangle, with a "shamo" shelf attached at one end/side, 12,000 gal). I have 6 returns specified (3 near bottom of pool to pipe heated water to bottom, 1 at each end to create a circulation, and 1 90 degree pointed at my "shamo shelf"; I'll have one skimmer). I live in CA, so I have to program my pump to not go over 36 gpm. All lines will be 2", the filter will be a 320 sq ft Pentair. There will be tree leaves in the pool at certain times of the year (a tree is near the pool).

The pool builder is recommending adding a (separate) return for a Polaris 360 sweep, as that model wouldn't require a booster pump. We need to decide to do this or use a robotic cleaner. Would a Polaris work? My current electrical rates are 31 cents/Kwh, so I want the option that uses the least amount of electrical power. Note that no plumbing has been done, so "anything" is possible at this point.

Thanks,

mark

Would a Polaris work?
Most pool cleaners work to some degree or another. I have heard good things on the forum about the 360 but have no personal experience.

For your size pool (you pay for cleaning power) a 360 would be about the right size. I personally prefer a robot over a pressure side cleaner if you decide to spend the extra money over the 360.

It boils down to some personal choices that will require some reading and learning.

Brushpup said:
Welcome to the Forum!

A pressure side cleaner with a booster pump to run will be handy with leaf debris. I will have a lot myself and I am going with one for sure.

The question is, then, which draws more power: a booster pump or a robot. I see that a "Dolphin Premier" robot draws 180W and recommends 2.5 hours (so 450W per day). I can't seem to find an equivalent data sheet for booster pumps.

However, you then have to calculate how much "work" a 180 watt robot will do in an hour compared to a 1500 watt booster cleaner. It will be impossible for you to quantify exactly what savings you would experience.....there are simply way too many variables.

I personally like robots but I have a fairly large pool and they need to run for hours daily to keep my pool clean. You will have a different set of circumstances and will have to use some common sense and familiarization with the characteristics of each cleaner and then make your best decision.

I have used Polaris 360's for over 15 yrs in three different pools two in Virginia and now on St Croix. I just opened my pool in the VI's and would not do without a Polaris 360. I would add a small filter to catch some the debris you might collect through the return pipe. I used 1' 1/2" line and it works like a charm at 15 PSI.
Order a few of the most frequently replaced spare parts.
Hoorah for polaris!!

Several people on the forum have used ThePoolCleaner with a VS pump with success. These cleaners use less flow rate (and thus less energy) than most other cleaners.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is exactly what I did in three pools, a separate return line with a separate Jandy valve and a small filter. I can control how much pressure the Polaris 360 will receive (typically 15psi) and it works great. I am super pleased with Polaris.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.