Chlorine fine, but says low salt?

Jul 22, 2013
Last night while swimming the Salt water Generator came on, without the pump running...my grandson had touched some of the buttons while outside ... I looked and it had a red light saying low salt, got out and turned everything off...then reset the pump and salt water generator to restart and run on the timer. The low salt light did not come on this time.
So this morning I tested the the clorine , first on the way to the barn with a test strip, it showed , chlorine down around 1.5 ppm, also ph was up a bit , so I came back, retested clorine and added ph down with pump running. The chlorine on the drop test showed 3-5 ppm. I did a Salt test strip and it showed 16-1700 ppm, when a couple weeks ago it showed 3300-4000 ppm 3X when tested.
So who do I believe? Cavet. We opened pool in July. We added the right amount of salt, a little bit extra actually. We have backwashed and drained some off after rains,half a dozen times. Also when we got new sandfilter we dropped water level below skimmer.....

Seems like you have lost enough salt that it needs to be replaced. Some SWG's work down to around 2000 ppm for the salt but ideal is 3000 ppm. I would add enough salt to raise it to 2500 ppm and see if the SWG responds to it. If it works, then retest and add enough salt for 3000-3500 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.