I've been a bad pool owner

JohnN

Jun 24, 2012
Howell, NJ
NOTE: IF YOU ARE A NEW POOL OWNER, DON'T DO ANYTHING I DID. YOU WON'T BE AS LUCKY AS I WAS.

Ok, over 800 posts here, but I am still a bad pool owner. The weather lately hasn't gotten above about 80, so I hadn't been taking care of the pool, like I should. According to my records, my last test was on 8/14. I know I tested chlorine a few times after that, but not like I should. Not only was I not testing like I should, but I also wasn't running the filter every day. But I'm not posting this looking for help, I am posting to brag about BBB. Even with my lack of testing, and lack of filtering, my pool is still crystal clear. I ran a full set of tests today, and I am in such good shape, I can't believe it. While I was testing, I was targeting a FC of 8, based on CYA of 50. Today, my FC was only down to 4.5, so above the minimum. PH was 7.6, so in range. CYA was down to around 30, down from 50. So with all of this neglect, I only had to add 56 oz 6% bleach and 16 oz Borax. I know the solar cover played a big part in saving my bacon with this pool. I just have to thank all of you, because without everyone here, my pool probably would have turned into a swamp long ago. Again, don't do anything I did. You won't be able to maintain your pool the way I did.

My PB hasn't even starting digging yet (hopefully next week), so I'm still very green on water chemistry, but I didn't think CYA would ever go down unless you drained the pool. So, how did the CYA drop from 50 to 30?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.