Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Japanese beetles and pill bugs in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Japanese beetles and pill bugs in pool

After receiving some tips on this board a few months, my pool has remained crystal clear. However, I am having to vacuum out hundreds of Japanese beetles and pill bugs from the bottom of my pool every day. Is there any way to stop (or reduce) these from getting in my pool?

Thanks,
    Shannon
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Japanese beetles and pill bugs in pool

Quote Originally Posted by shannonadams68
    After receiving some tips on this board a few months, my pool has remained crystal clear. However, I am having to vacuum out hundreds of Japanese beetles and pill bugs from the bottom of my pool every day. Is there any way to stop (or reduce) these from getting in my pool?

Thanks,
    Shannon
    That seems to go in 5 year cycles. A few years back the Jb's were sooo bad, and it got better. Another year it was a cucumber beetle. They seem to peak and decrease and it seems like each year one bug is worse than the other. One year the little lady-bug looking beetles were so bad, I couldn't see the handle for my skimmer basket to pull it out and clean it. EEEWEEE.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

I never knew there were so many bugs in my back yard until I put up a pool! Amazing how they like to swim,isn't it?
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

4. Back To Top    #4

We are getting hundreds of flying ants this year. They are really attracted to the fountain that I use to aerate the pool. Plus the big brown spiders come out at night and I skim them out every morning. (only 3-4)
    16 x 32 IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter