Turn off SWG and run pump for 24 hours after adding salt?

Re: Turn off SWG and run pump for 24 hours after adding salt

Absolutely turn off the SWG when adding salt and let it circulate for 24 hours with the SWG off. Read the instructions for your SWG for more information. Our sensor was damaged by a worker for our pool builder when he failed to do this upon startup.

The reason for the 24 hours is a safe number for all types of salt that may be used. Just like ComputerGuy said, the important part is that the cell is powered off during the addition.

Pool salt dissolves very quickly but other types (i.e. softener salt) takes longer. The goal is to not expose the cell to any high concentration spikes.

Here are a few links discussing the issue:

brand-new-agp-swg-help-with-shocking-and-adding-salt-t47153.html#p383697

adding-salt-t10292.html

swg-setting-first-time-t33821.html

are you starting up your pool or just topping up to increase salt level?

i take it it's the later, in which case you don't have to turn it off.

just add salt along the pool wall and brush it to mix a bit.

if it's the former - most SWGs won't turn on with low salt anyway, they'll be just displaying low salt alarm.

Thanks all. I did indeed thought I saw it being mentioned somewhere here before. I just cannot seem to find where it said that.

If the website maintainers/admins agree, I would propose that this bit of information be added to the following links:

pool-school/pool_water_chemistry (in "Salt" section)
pool-school/water_balance_saltwater_generator (in the paragraph where adding salt is mentioned)
Maybe something here too: pool-school/salt_water_chlorine_generators

Strannik said:
are you starting up your pool or just topping up to increase salt level?

i take it it's the later, in which case you don't have to turn it off.

just add salt along the pool wall and brush it to mix a bit.

if it's the former - most SWGs won't turn on with low salt anyway, they'll be just displaying low salt alarm.

Yes, topping off - ie: adding a bag or two for salt (taking us from 2600 to 3100 with 2 bags of salt).

So in those cases, we don't have to turn off SWG?

What about running pump? I would imagine, long enough for all salt to be dissolved, which is pretty quick, correct?

if you only adding salt to bring it up by 500 ppm i wouldn't do anything specific at all.

just spread it around the pool and brush a bit to ensure it's not collected in one spot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.