Pentair Heater problem

Aug 29, 2013
I had a pack rat chewing a way in my Pentair MasterTemp gas heater. He completely chewed off the wires to the Stack Flu Sensor. I have ordered the part but it will not come in until after Labor Day. I have renters coming in for the next week and you like to have them be able to use the spa.

I am not sure of the purpose of this sensor but I assume that if the flu is to hot the sensor will open and turn off the heat. Could I loop the end with a piece of wire keeping the circuit closed? This would be a short time and the only heating that will be done is the spa and then for probably an hour at a time.

If that will not work is there anything I can do to use the unit while I wait for the part.

Rich March
Tucson, AZ

If you did this and for some reason it were to over heat and other safeties not catch it, it could be destructive. If it were you living there it would be one thing but with renters, I'm not sure I would consider it.

As Bama said, splice the wires and connect it properly, if you can. If the wires were chewed all the way up to the very end of the metal, well I would wait for the real part.

You probably cannot just short that switch because it is not a switch, it is a temp sensor. Shorting it would not give the board the resistance range it is looking for, and wouldn't fire anyway.

Unless the rat chewed the wires off flush with the sensor, get some wire and rewire it.

That stinks. Once you get the new replacement part and it's installed, I would add maybe some moth balls or some deterrent to keeps the rodents from coming back and making more of a mess of the heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.