CYA stabilizing trouble

Feb 2, 2008
Northwest Indiana
About two weeks ago I added three pounds of CYA to my pool...It is between 13900 and 14000 gallons. I was getting away with adding only about 64 ounces of bleach per day (5.5 percent) After heavy rain or heavy swimming...son had a pool party last week ten boys...I would add more like 120 ounces...just to bounce it up...However this past weekend I tested my CYA and it was non existent...Had my friend test with her TF kit, and it was between 10 and 20 she said. So this is my problem...I was going through some notes today that I had taken from the forum and forgotten. And my notes said that CYA for pools that get large amounts of sun should be balances between 80 and 100 ppm. My pool gets total sun from about 10 am to 6 pm. Should I be adding more CYA to get it up to 80 parts per million. If so what is the best way to introduce...Through the skimmer is what the instructions say. The other thing is how long to let the pump run after I do so...and could my Nature 2 have anything to do with this...I have had in on the pool for about a month...and so many people told me to take it off that I have taken it off tonight so return water goes straight to pool now not through the secondary N2 filter. Could all the metals and minerals that thing puts in cause problems with CYA??? Should I shoot the CYA up to 60 to 80 or better with all the sun light I get?

I should add that my numbers out side of adding bleach every day have been spot on...
When i add bleach...now I am using liquid chlorine at 10%...
TC is at 3-5 % when I add( recheck about 1 hour later...about 8:30 and then in morning it stays
at 2-3 PPm
pH is right at 7.2 to7.5
Alkalinity is steady at 110 ppm
and hardness has been steady at 80 ppm

Using an hth 6 way test kit. The only thing is that this kit does not test free chlorine...

Pool is a 24 foot round vinyl pool
2 hp Hayward Pump
Cartridge filter

I recommend a CYA level around 50. You can go higher if you really want but don't go over 80.

3 lbs of CYA should have raised your level by about 25. The test is +-15, so it might actually be around 25. I would add another 3 lbs of CYA, wait a week, and see where that gets you.

Remember that as you raise your CYA level you need to raise your target FC level. With CYA around 50 you want FC between 4 and 8 and never below 4. This is a little tricky to do with the simple chlorine test, which isn't very accurate between 3 and 5 and can't measure above 5 at all, but it is possible to manage with a little guess work.

:blah:

Mrs H. why you gotta be poundin on my head like that...I added another pound of CYA, and then brought Chlorine up to 5 ppm on Monday night after vacuuming out the leaves...stinkin' west wind.
Yesterday Bridgette had her pool party 8 girls in the pool all afternoon. When I tested again I still had free Chlorine of 3 ppm. pH was fine right at 7.5-7.6. I am out of CYA reagent so I will have to look for more or just take to the escape in a week and have them test it...anyway...I don't need to send pictures...The water is just fine...Nothing to say about removing the N2...You convinced me!!!

You are the :thequeen: of pools!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.