High Calcium Hardness

Apr 15, 2012
South Dakota
The second year of owning a pool and it has by far been perfect for maintaining the water. I have hardly had to use any chemicals other than chlorine pucks and shock when needed.

My Calcium Hardness has been high though. I have pumped out about 1 to 1.5ft of water and replaced it with fresh but the PPM at the time was 550 and only dropped to 500. Currently it is at 650.

In pool school it refers to a reverse osmosis water treatment and the only system like that that I have heard of is the drinking water system which I don't have.

There is no chemical that I can use to lower the number?

PH 7.4
FC 2
CC .2
TA 110
CH 650
CYA 30

The RO is generally only available in the southwest where water is scarce and calcium hardness is a big issue. There is no chemical solution to high CH.

What is the CH of your fill water?

stew930 said:
The second year of owning a pool and it has by far been perfect for maintaining the water. I have hardly had to use any chemicals other than chlorine pucks and shock when needed.

Just a friendly reminder that either of these products could be adding CH to your water. If they are composed of Calcium Hypochlorite they will. Also, your CYA is only 30 right now, but over a period of time, (perhaps a season) you could elevate that number too much. This will happen by using Tri-Chlor or Di-Chlor shocks or pucks. It too can only be lowered by replacing water.

In most cases, a softner cannot keep up with the makeup demand for a pool in addition to what your house uses. Especially with high hardness that I suspect you have.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.