The trouble with test strips

jmullan99

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 10, 2013
I know, and understand, the benefits of a proper test kit, from reading the forum. And I have a TF100 on the way.

But up until now, I've only had the 6-way test strips.

It seems to be okay with respect to seeing chlorine go up and down. But the CyA is crazy. If I were to go by the chart on the container, I have less than zero stabilizer! And yet, I just finished adding about 1lb to the pool last night.

Are the strips that bad that it won't even register?

What can I get rough estimates about with these crazy things?

You're seeing the problem with them first hand. It's not only that they're not accurate, it's that you can't depend on them to even be reliable. You might get a reading and you might not get one at all. In all fairness, they usually get kinda close on the pH.

Multi analyte strips cannot be depended on for any test with accuracy at all.

Great to see that you have a test kit on the way though.

I can't say what estimates you can get with them, but you can likely do as well with your FC additions by basing them on what you've done since having this setup. You may or may not have needed the CYA add since you've been using Tri-Chlor pucks. Hard to say really.

Im no expert, but here on the site I have often read that it takes up to a week for your CYA readings to be accurate after putting in the pool. So dont bother testing CYA until your proper kit arrives!

You will love the accuracy of the real tests--dont forget to read the "extended test instructions" you can find here on the site. There are some tips that end up being pretty important. I speak from experience, as last year I was initially doing several of the tests wrong and getting kinda wonky results. For example I was not holding the dropper vertically (so drops come out different sizes). :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.