Squirrel In Pool

Aug 29, 2013
Split topic - Please do not hijack another thread. When asking a question, please do so in your own topic. Reusing another person's topic can cause answers to your question to get mixed up with answers to the original poster's question and create confusion. Thanks - BoDarville, TFP Moderator :wink:

had a live squirrel in my intex 18x48 round pool. i am running a saltwater filtration system on it. my question is a squirrel fell into it a few days ago, we scooped it out but now i need to know if we need to do any thing to sanitize it?
Thanks
BBB

I am no expert but we have had baby quail end up in the skimmer, baby and full size rabbits, dead babies and a drowning rabbit, even a mouse or three. I just scoop them out as soon as I find them and don't worry about it. I assume your chlorine levels are in the acceptable range and you run your filter 4 or more hours per day.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

The short answer is you need to get some extra chlorine in the pool for the next day or so, just to be on the safe side. Recommend using plain, unscented liquid bleach for chlorine.
Couple of questions...
  1. Do you know how long the squirrel was in the pool before you removed it? [/*:m:2up9yxcp]
  2. Did the squirrel have any open wounds?[/*:m:2up9yxcp]
  3. What kind of testing kit do you have? [/*:m:2up9yxcp]
  4. Can you post any test results (in particular FC, CC, and CYA)?[/*:m:2up9yxcp]

If you have a good test kit (with a FAS-DPD chlorine test - uses a powder + liquid reagent) you can perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Even if you do not have a test kit or do not know the answer to question 1 or 2, post back and tell us that. Without test results, we can provide a somewhat educated guess on how much chlorine you will need to maintain over the next few days. However, we would prefer to get a little extra data from you, if possible, so that we can provide a more precise estimate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.