Pool quote -opinions ,please critique

Sep 9, 2011
We received our first quote today .
We met with builder two weeks ago for two hours at our house, advised we wanted a 110 ln ft with tanning shelf 18 inch raised bond beam (back side of pool) , salt chlorinator , pave-stone patio( no concrete ) variable speed pump,DE filter and travertine coping .Well this is what we received. kind of shocked when we looked at it .
BLAST AWAY, builders ,experienced pool owners ,all comments are welcome . we plan to share this experience with the forum and originally planed to act as Owner builder but cannot for the life of me get subs to return calls or emails. so off we go to obtain quotes.
Location will be North east GA
GO Dawgs!!

regards,Scott

**** Pools is pleased to provide a proposal for the design and construction of a custom built
swimming pool and related items.

POOL: Freeform shape pool, 91 lf, 462 sf surface area. To be constructed of shotcrete with 3/
8" steel rebar tied a minimum of 12" on center throughout floor and walls and 1/2" rebar along
bond beam. Depth 3- 5 ft

POOL COPING and RAISED BOND BEAM: Thick flagstone coping and cap with weathered dry
stacked fieldstone facing along 15” high raised pool bond beam to include a 24 in. wide sheer
fall water feature.

TILE: Owner select from builders samples, 6x6 along waterline in pool.

INTERIOR FINISH: PebbleTec (upgrade color range)

POOL STEPS & BENCHES: Per design plan with tanning ledge as shown

DECKING: Lower patio 550 sq. ft. of broom finished concrete and upper patio 190 sq. ft. of
broom finished concrete. Two steps formed with stone to match pool as shown in drawing.

EQUIPMENT:

* (1) Jandy JS series sand filter filter.
* (1) Jandy 1 HP Stealth Pump
* (1) 500 watt underwater light. (Pool)
* Dual time-clock with freeze protection
* (1) Polaris 280 pool cleaner with booster pump
* Zodiac Chlorine feeder with mineral pac

PLUMBING:

* (1) Swimquip U3 skimmer with equalizer.
* (2) Return Lines
* (2) Main Drains (pool) VGB approved
* All Jandy never lube multiport and check valves
* (1) pressure gauge.
* (1) water overflow fitting.
* All PVC sch. 40 pipe, valves, and fittings.
MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT:

* 40 ft. vacuum hose.
* telescopic pole.
* leaf net.
* wall brush.
* vacuum head.
* test kit.
* start-up chemicals and on site tutorial
ELECTRICAL: builder will provide wiring for all pool equipment and pool light(s) from
electrical panel in residence for a distance of 100 feet to the electrical service panel at
pool equipment. Any distance over 100 feet of electrical service necessary to reach pool
equipment will be owners expense of $4.00 per lin. ft. Cost for upgrade/expansion
of existing electrical service panel if needed will be owner’s responsibility.

PERMITS: builder will acquire county building and health department permits unless
otherwise noted. In the event an administrative variance is required by the governing county,
owner will be responsible for all filing fees plus additional acquisition fees by **** Pools.

Total Investment for swimming pool including permit fees and taxes $44,200.00

Optional Items:
Salt chlorine generator to replace feeder with mineral pac add…………..$1550.00
Tumbled Paver patio is $10.50 sq. ft. vs. broom finished concrete @ $4.75 sq. ft.

The pricing seems to be in-line (at least around these parts) for what you have listed in your specs. I do not see a heater listed. Is that an omission or deliberately left off the options list?

scott713 said:
(1) Jandy 1 HP Stealth Pump
Is this a single-speed or 2-speed? Would definitely suggest a 2-speed which would cost just slightly more but pay off with big electric savings over a single-speed.

scott713 said:
Salt chlorine generator to replace feeder with mineral pac...
Regardless of whether you stick with chlorine or opt for SWG, I would avoid the mineral pac. These pacs are often given away free by the manufactures in hopes that you will use their (expensive) refills. Many of these systems add metals to the water which is something you do not want. Proper chlorine levels (whether manually added or generated by SWG) will provide adequate sanitation by itself without the side effects of these mineral systems.

scott713 said:
All PVC sch. 40 pipe, valves, and fittings.
What diameter is this plumbing?

While we are on plumbing, I would specify that no plumbing is run under the pool except for the main drain.

Did you give them a budget to stick to?
It looks as though they didn't spec it out how you asked them to so either they were trying to keep it to a specific price or they weren't paying attention to what you asked for.
I had one builder in particular who flat out wasn't listening to what we were saying and kept pushing 'their' pool design thoughts on us. Whilst I appreciate constructive input from a PB I would expect the design choices to be mine unless they could give a very strong technical reason why it wasn't a good idea.

Have you got some more quotes coming in to compare this to? I don't know the pricing for anywhere but Houston but it seems pretty reasonable to me.

cbink said:
Did you give them a budget to stick to?
It looks as though they didn't spec it out how you asked them to so either they were trying to keep it to a specific price or they weren't paying attention to what you asked for.
I had one builder in particular who flat out wasn't listening to what we were saying and kept pushing 'their' pool design thoughts on us. Whilst I appreciate constructive input from a PB I would expect the design choices to be mine unless they could give a very strong technical reason why it wasn't a good idea.

Have you got some more quotes coming in to compare this to? I don't know the pricing for anywhere but Houston but it seems pretty reasonable to me.
you would be spot on, we spec'd out salt water chlorinator , De filter and VS pump.

The design is also totally reverse from what we asked for in regards to placement of tanning shelf and deep end.
plane and simple did not listen to what we talked about.

We also asked to spec out plumbing size also (omitted) he did say it would be minimum 2 in on pressure and 3in on suction side but wasn't spec"d on quote.

We have more quotes coming.
I really liked this builder too and hope to move past this.
thanks for the reply

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.