No chlorine loss overnight but big loss during the day ?

waterbear said:
The CH reading is NOT secondary. While it is true that you do not need the same levels of calcium in a vinyl pool you still need to know your calcium hardness. If it is high you can stil get scaling or cloudy water. If it is very low your water might have a tendency to foam. I think there is a misconception that because you do not need 200-400 ppm calcium for a vinyl pool it means you do not have to test your calcium levels. This is just not true!

Thanks for the clarification. Mine is reading 175 from the test yesterday. Is that within the acceptable range ?

Steve

JasonLion said:
Yes, CC really does go to zero. There are a couple of possibilities as to why why yours is never zero. You might not be doing the test quite right, the final drop to clear the pink should bring the sample to completely clear. Sometimes the sample goes to a very light pink that is almost clear and if you miss that drop CC will test as 0.5. Your FC level might be too low. You might be adding something to the water that forms CC, as some sequestrants do. You might have unusually high levels of pollen forming CC. You might have a low level of extremely persistent CC that will only be cleared out by shocking.

Thanks for the feedback. It makes sense that I'm simply not done with the shocking phase. I understand your point about that last drop during the FC test. I've noticed that as well -- that you have to hold it up and check it to make sure it's perfectly clear before adding the drops for the CC test. I've been careful with that. And right now, I've not added anything to the pool in 2 weeks other than bleach. I don't see a lot of pollen forming on anything else right now but thanks for letting me know that that could be an issue. I'll continue holding the chlorine levels high and we'll see where I am by the weekend.

Steve

Very Close Now

Here's a shot of the pool from yesterday:

http://ssmith1627.myphotoalbum.com/view ... 5&id=004_G

It looks better today. I can actually see the bottom and the pattern on the liner now for the first time. It's pretty exciting, let me tell ya. And for the first time just now my CC reading is zero. Not the slightest shade of pink after adding those drops. That's thrilling too. The water can get clearer -- I can see the bottom but it's not perfectly clear either. But I feel like I'm close. My FC number right now is 17. I'm going to see what I have first thing in the morning. I don't expect to lose a lot of chlorine overnight if I don't have any CC's in there right now.

Get the chlorine up to shock level and hold it there. Why didn't you just say so ? Oh, wait......you did. It just didn't all click with me. But that's what I've done these past 4 days or so. Not get it to shock level and let it drift back down all day. I shot it up past shock level and kept it there or above for those days. I don't think it ever got below 16.5 since Monday. I appreciate you guys putting up with all my messages and questions and uncertainty. Your methods certainly seem to be proving themselves out.

You can't mess around with it. You can't put in a little bleach now and a couple jugs later. You just have to really ATTACK it in a HUGE way. Otherwise, it's growing back as fast as you're killing it off and you'll never get to the end.

Exciting stuff. I may be able to let the chlorine levels drift back down to something made for the human body soon and actually use the pool for the first time since we bought the house a couple months ago. Can't wait.

Thanks again.

Steve

Thanks guys. Tested the water about 3pm and had just a hint of CC's and my FC had dropped from 17 to 12 in about 8 hours. The water is clear and can see the bottom but it could be better. I think we'll play in it over the weekend and then I'll bring it back up to shock level on Monday to see if I can really get it clear and keep it there.

Thanks again.

Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.