Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All!
I do not currently have a heater for my pool, though there is a space for one. There used to be one, but the previous owners removed it for whatever reason. The plumbing was bypassed so that we could get the pool up and running. (see pics below)

We will be getting a heater soon, and being a geeky type, I want to know everything about pool heaters - brand independent education if possible. A few specific questions I have are:
  • 1. Does Low NOx mean it is a high-efficiency heater?
    2. Is ASME just an industry certification letting you know it is higher quality? I have noticed that the ASME versions seem to all have external copper fittings.
    3. I saw one particular model that specified that you can set the pool and spa to separate temps. Is this a common feature?
    4. What should I know if I don't yet know enough to know what questions I should be asking? (does that even make sense?)
    5. Is there a good document on TFP (or elsewhere) that explains the technical aspects of heaters?

I am also wondering about opinions on the best brands. I have had several "pool folks" tell me that Raypak is the best. One even told me that is the only brand he will install. Hayward and Pentair seem to be the most popular.

So, feed my brain, please!

-tim

6. You will find a lot of people here that will also recommend Raypak.

3. The 2 heaters I have had both had separate temperature setting for the pool/spa.

5. Not really. There is not specific document for technical aspects, but you can likely find a lot of info searching the forum.

I do not know enough to offer anything meaningful to your other questions.

Here are some answers to your questions.

1. No, LoNox means it's cleaner burning, supposedly. Mostly used in Cali.
2. If this is residential, you do not need ASME. ASME is a standard used in some commercial settings. I say "some" because it is not used in all commercial settings. Some place any credence to it being any better.
3. Yes pretty much all heaters today will have a pool and a spa setting so you can set two different temps. Might not mean anything to you if you have automation as it will control your temps.
4. Not sure how to answer that question.
5. What kind of documentation are you looking for?

Go with Raypak and you will be very happy. I see this is an indoor pool and spa. Where is the equipment for this all located at?

Thanks for your quick responses! That's one of the things I love about this forum.

ps0303 - I do not have automation, but plan on adding is "someday". The documentation I am looking for could be titled something like "all you ever wanted to know about pool heaters". I just want to avoid a situation where someone tells me that I need a feature, but I don't know if they are just trying to up-sell me because I am not educated enough about them to know that I don't need the feature. I also just like to know how the things in my house work so that if something goes wrong, I can better explain it over the phone.

The heater, filter, and pump are all inside also - in a "mechanical closet". The exhaust stack from the last heater is still there. I also see your recommendation in your sig. Not to worry, I will have it all done by a qualified professional. Plumbing is the one trade that makes me nervous to attempt myself.

-tim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.