Bubbles in Return Getting Worse and Filter Partially Empties

Aug 29, 2013
So we purchased a house with a pool last fall and have not had very many problems, however recently we've had the following problems:

Our set up is as follows:

Spa that over flows into pool.

Our pad consists of the following:

- 3 inflows (1 from hot tub and 2 from pool..........skiimmers (2) and drains (2)). Inflow from spa is turned off.
- Inflows go through pump (pump has small air bubbles at the top, but nothing major) to DE filter
- Out filter to heater then through a Venturi valve (oxygenator hooked up here). Don't know what the venturi does or what the setting needs to be on.
- Through a tube set up that is supposed to add minerals
- Back to the pool via the hot tub and jets in pool (set to send water to both).

Recently I've noticed that upon start up we get a huge explosion of air out of the jets in the pool. They stop after a while, but then small bubbles continue.

We've also noticed that occasionally the hot tub will lose some water over night and be about 2 inches lowere in the morning (pump not on at night).

So last night I was looking at the set up and noticed that when the pump turned off, it sounded as if the filter was emptying water (I'm assuming towards the pool and then filling up with air...........but have no idea where the air can be coming in at).

The air coming into the pool is starting to effect the Polaris unit effectiveness.

Any thoughts.

Re: Bubbles in Return Getting Worse and Filter Partially Emp

Welcome to tfp, russinfortworth :wave:

Do you have air in your pump basket when it is running? It sounds to me like you have air getting in on the suction side. Most common culprits are a leaky pump lid o-ring (lube it up good with silicone and/or teflon lube), leaking pump drain plugs, vortex in the skimmer due to low water level, or stuck skimmer weir door.

2 bubbles about the size of a quarter in the top of the pump basket, they do not get bigger, but never clear either.

I'll get some of the silicone tonight and see if that fixes it.

Are you able to purge the air out of the filter? That should be done any time you open the system. Do you see any water leaks on the pressure side? That would allow air in when the pump is off and let the filter drain.

BTW, I would seriously recommend discontinuing the use of the mineral system ... the metal could cause staining and green hair and really provides very little benefit over chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.