Need help with final stages of algae clean up. Please!!!

Aug 29, 2013
I had the dreaded mustard algae in my pool for way too long. It literally looked like a lake in just a few days (away for the weekend). The beginning stages I thought was due to the hard water and was treating metal when it, in fact was algae. Anyway, got that taken care of and pool is a nice blue. However, I have extremely cloudy water. So I got a super flok and treated yesterday. Woke up this morning and could see the bottom. Totally clear water. However, when I turned the filter back on to vacuum the residue on the bottom, the jets blew the cloudy water right back into my pool! :hammer: I am thinking my mistake was not backwashing after the flok treatment. I had backwashed then put the flok in then let it filter for 2 hours as the directions stated, then shut it down. I am thinking I blew it in not backwashing before shutting it down?
I vacuumed what I could and backwashed and shut it down again. Do I need more flok or will it settle again? Do you think with backwashing the jets won't blow the clouds back in? thanks for any help. Pulling my hair out here.
Tricia

Re: Need help with final stages of algae clean up. Please!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Nothing you wrote indicated mustard algae ... so many people come here thinking they have it and do not.

We do not recommend the use of "flok", aren't you suppose to vacuum it to waste or something? Seems like it causes more problems than good.

Are your certain that you have eliminated the algae? We recommend the SLAM process to be sure. [slam:2frzd1je][/slam:2frzd1je]

Welcome to tfp, tricializ :wave:

jbliz gave you great advice above! I agree, nothing you wrote indicates mustard algae.

We would encourage you to spend some time in "pool school" (link is always near the upper right of the page). In addition to the article jbliz pointed you to, here is another good starter: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

Oh, well I had slimy brown residue on the bottom of my pool with green water. My chlorine level when I brought it in for testing was 0! Ack. (away for the weekend and clearly the chlorine feeder wasn't set high enough). I shocked the heck out of it until it was no longer green at all but then it was just super cloudy. The flok "enhancer" did the trick as it dropped everything to the bottom. All my levels are in the normal range now. When I did vacuum what I could see, I did vacuum to waste but then backwashed the fileter again to make sure it was nice and clean and then shut it down to hopefully let those particles drop again. Thanks for your help

Sorry you are offended. The methods we use to clean our pool are very different than most local pool stores (LPS) recommend. We use accurate testing to determine what is wrong with our water and use simple but effective chemicals to clean the water. Items like "bags of shock" and "floc" are things that we replace with chlorine/bleach and filtering.

LPS and BBB methods will not work together effectively. I know the BBB way can clear almost any pool is less than a week.

If you would like help with cleaning your pool using our methods, let us know. If you would like to continue following the LPS suggestions, please do but if they don't work, you are welcome to come back and try our methods.

I don't think he was offended at all. Your first post looks like a lot of the first posts we get here, because what we practice isn't anywhere near what's mainstream (read some of the other threads from new members and you'll see what I mean). It's just part of the learning process.

I might add, once folks start using the methods taught on tfp, typically they are shocked at how much better their pool looks and how easy to know what it needs (generally cheaper too).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Well that was about the biggest over reaction to a simple request for more info. A request quite often made from long time members to new members who don't quite understand how important specific numbers, specific ingredients, specific chemicals are to solving a pool problem.

Good luck on your pool, although I can't say I would personally leave a site that I got my first response 3 minutes after a post, and a total of 4 responses in 22 minutes.

Well thats just sad. Sorry to see her go. Probably right back into the arms of the Pool Store where she'll end up bald from pulling her hair out, broke from wasting money on chemicals and methods that don't work, teed off at the world, and she'll still have a pool full of algae. Sure wish she could've been led to the light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.